Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Tool-Kits For Pilots

documented case of this happening?

I agree with Suddens point. The last name in the book (AME wise) is the one who will be getting grilled. May be he has seen a cross threaded chip detector, maybe not, it was being used as an example but once again it's the big picture aspect. Some of the ideas I've seen pilots come up with are pretty scary, are they going to be around to man up to the screw up? All he is saying is think about what you are doing, think big picture. If checking c/plugs is part of the elementry training, fill ur boots. And make a log book entry!!

Cheers

• Like 2

Get over yourself SS! I think the vast majority of us are capable of removing and re-installing an engine chip plug. As far as the "documented" case of installing a plug and cross threading it goes, the procedure after removing the plug is to run the engine for 20 minutes. After a 20 minute run (on the ground) you shut down and recheck the plug, it would be apparent that the engine was losing oil at this point, therefore not harming anyone. Of course it could cost a bit of money.....

• Like 1

documented case of this happening?

do i really need to? we all know about the recent 212 fuel line issue being documented right?

how about i just satisfy your ignorance with a titanium stud issue that did happen once, nobody gave a sh*t and the next time it happened...well you get the point.

I've done enough chip plugs myself to know that crossthreading is a possibility to the ham fisted, correct torque and safetying is a mystery to many, and an oring might not make it thru the process either, so beyond that, you can search all the data bases you want to find any references...it's not worth my time as I already have my view on the subject.

• Like 1

Get over yourself SS! I think the vast majority of us are capable of removing and re-installing an engine chip plug. As far as the "documented" case of installing a plug and cross threading it goes, the procedure after removing the plug is to run the engine for 20 minutes. After a 20 minute run (on the ground) you shut down and recheck the plug, it would be apparent that the engine was losing oil at this point, therefore not harming anyone. Of course it could cost a bit of money.....

do your pilot friends carry the 250 maintenance manual around with them? how do they all know to run it for 20 on the ground? what if dark is approaching? will they cut it short to 5??

I'll share a personal experience with you on my motorcycle that could have ended badly.

Oil change the night before I went on a 500km trip. Did a leak check....no different than I would ever do on a helicopter. No leaks...good to go.

Around Barrie, some 300kms into my trip..wtf...smoke in my mirrors....oil light on....burning sensation on my left foot....pull over right away....you guessed it. drain plug completely gone...all oil on the road, rear tire and my foot....luckily i didn't drop it on the 400 with holiday weekend traffic racing behind me.

so if you don't think it could happen on a helicopter....go right ahead and be blind. I'm of the belief it can. So if you want me to get over myself, take a long hard look at yourself too. you're an idiot.

• Like 3