Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Tool-Kits For Pilots

LOL!

Throw a set of needle nose pliers in the bag as well. As long and thin as you can find.

They are great for getting that igniter out of the brulin jar too!

RTR

NOTED!! lol.

Actually my spares kit is quite complete, but there are absolutely no tools there... But there is enough crap to complete the first 100 hour inspection.

I gues tomorrow, I get to do the 50 hour greasing.. Yay, Mobil 28 on my pants again...

Cheers

H.

Instead of regular water pump pliers get the Knipex Cobra, they grip pipe really well. These will be handy for fixing the leaking fittings on your refueling gear. Get the yellow T-tape for the refueling gear fittings, it's much better w/ jet fuel. The regular white T-tape just doesn't stand up. Carry a spare plastic bowl for your refueling filter housing.

Under the supervision of an AME I was adjusting the attachment points for a Dart basket, using a 1/4" drive ratchet w/ socket and a small crescent wrench. It's fiddly work and I wanted it "perfect" so it was taking a while. At one point His Nibs asked me, "How's it going"? I explained my search for perfection. In his fine Swiss accent he told me, "Well, you'll never get it using those farmer's tools. I don't want to see you using a crescent wrench on my machine again. Go get my small Knipex and carry on!" On my next days off I bought large and small Knipex Pliers and have delighted in using them ever since. Thanks A.L.!

DM

• Like 1

There are obvious limitations with respect to pilot's wrenching their helicopters in the field. The depth of my own ignorance in technical matters is vast and well documented. In my opinion the number one fix-all for most pilots should be a Sat-phone. However a good (small) kit should be essential for minor items that pop up like adjustments or repair to refuelling gear, longlines, water buckets, etc. My bag contains things too large to carry on my belt (leatherman - of course) and include multi-tip ratcheting screwdriver, 2 adjustable wrenches (large and small), 3/4 socket, lock wire, duct tape, electrical tape, flashlight, a roll of para cord, folding saw, fire starter, flagging tape, spare grease fittings, needle-nose pliers, side cutters, etc. The zip ties come in handy to temporarily secure shackles and the like (instead of lock-wire). I usually throw a couple of spare shackles if I have room. Last, to avoid suspicion in the hangar I've disguised it to look like a lunch box....

Hair gel and prophylaptics. I ran out of those on a tour once and that sucked.

the Duke

Now, ain't exactly tools this either, but I effin' ran out of BEER in a WET camp... NEVER been in one like that before! Government of Quebec so all good. They did a beer run and EFFIN' FORGOT my beer... I have been bumming beer ever since!

Got to use my 9/16 today to change the filter on the fuel pump.

Cheers

H.

Now, ain't exactly tools this either, but I effin' ran out of BEER in a WET camp... NEVER been in one like that before! Government of Quebec so all good. They did a beer run and EFFIN' FORGOT my beer... I have been bumming beer ever since!

Got to use my 9/16 today to change the filter on the fuel pump.

Cheers

H.

They probably like a sober pilot! :lol: