Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Sooo--You Wanna Be A Pilot, Huh?

splitpin

I think he sounds like a bitter person who could not make it. He only has 1800 hours and a military background, which he seems to think is the best way to learn to fly and I seems to think did not help him in the civil world as much as he expected. Nice that he takes the time to give an opinion when he quit long ago.

Not too sure about his statmment of better to learn in a fixed wing first to save money????

I don't think any new pilots should listen to this guy at all.

• Like 1

I think he sounds like a bitter person who could not make it. He only has 1800 hours and a military background, which he seems to think is the best way to learn to fly and I seems to think did not help him in the civil world as much as he expected. Nice that he takes the time to give an opinion when he quit long ago.

Not too sure about his statmment of better to learn in a fixed wing first to save money????

I don't think any new pilots should listen to this guy at all.

You wouldn't be in the instructing business would you? Just curious. A persons view on a subject usually is dependent on how close to the subject they are.

sounds like a typical ex-mil pilot trying to make it in the FAA world. the FAA side of things is very different then the canadian side, so wouldn't put to much stock in it if you're going to stick to canadian flying.

if you are going FAA, then yes, getting your private fixed wing and racking up the first 100hrs in one is the way to go, far cheaper. you can also get a lot of your IFR time done in fixed wing and count it towards your Rotor IFR ticket.

nope sir,

Canadian commercialy trained, never taught, live on top of a longline moving bags or drills. Never not had lots of work.

If the guy can't make it in the industry...should he be telling others what is best to do if they want to be successful in the industry? seeing as how it worked so well for him???

that's all, no offence.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

nope sir,

Canadian commercialy trained, never taught, live on top of a longline moving bags or drills. Never not had lots of work.

If the guy can't make it in the industry...should he be telling others what is best to do if they want to be successful in the industry? seeing as how it worked so well for him???

that's all, no offence.

I actually never read the article, but,sometimes you can pass on good information from your failures. I know I would have done things differently if I had the chance to do it over again.I pass on this info every time someone asks me on how to become a pilot.

49merc

I actually never read the article, but,sometimes you can pass on good information from your failures. I know I would have done things differently if I had the chance to do it over again.I pass on this info every time someone asks me on how to become a pilot.

49merc

I agree 49merc, however there is no need to be a pessimist. I Recall when I was looking into training, the funominal amount of aviators that had nothing good to say to a young and keen person. A lot of bitter people in this industry, makes me wonder why they stay all these years If they hate it so much. Or maybe it is just human nature to ***** about everything possible.

Somtimes good to take a step back and think to yourself...what else would I want to do..

I try to lend encouragment to people who want to fly, try to tip the scale of complainers out there.

Only been flying for 6 years...steady since month 2 after grad, yes I have been lucky. I love my job now more than I ever have.

• Like 2