Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Vih Nelson Crash

Some of my fondest and sometimes scariest memories are while flying in that area years ago. Beautiful country but sometimes very unforgiving.

My deepest sympathies to my fellow VIH colleagues and to the families involved. Certainly a bad day for all of us.

:(

:(

Sad to hear - my thoughts are with the family and friends of all involved.

I Am am also a tad saddened to see over a 1000 views on this post and so few posted messages.

I know its sometimes hard to comment on the tragedy, but those who are left holding the memories would probably appreciate the condolences and comfort knowing their loved one was an important...

This statment from SuddenStop cut me to the bone. I'm reminded of a girl that was very special to me many years ago, who, when, in a similar situation, I had said, "I hate funerals", had responded, "You freaking twit!!! Everyody hates funerals!!!!!!!!! You go to them to respect the living and pay homage to the dead!!!"...

Besides the fact that she was a fixed-wing pilot she was alright...

The fact is that there is no easy way to deal with the pre-mature loss of a loved one or colleague. Even people that disliked someone they worked with are devestated by their loss. This is because it changes the fabric of our reality and demonstrates our mortality, not to mention the fact that it often robs us of someone we really loved and respected.

I didn't know the pilot in this particular circumstance well, but he sat across my desk just a few months ago and told me that the most important thing in his life was his family and spending time with them. Regular schedules were his goal so that he could plan things with his kids. Having two kids myself I cannot help bawling as I think of them without me. Or me without them. It is absolutely horrific to consider and I pray that my family never has to deal with my loss. Assuming that they would consider me being gone as a loss of course... But I digress

Tomorrow is promised to no one. We should always live our lives as if it's our last day on earth. Which, contrary to movies, doesn't mean indulging in every forbidden fruit. Instead we should hope to depart carrying no hard feelings with any of our friends, family or acquaintances; no bad debt of the "personal" kind (the banks can get stuffed on my departure!); the best legacy we can leave for our progeny and as many others of our loved ones as possible; a clear understanding of who we were and what we stood for; and, this is me thinking selfishly, the largest tab ever at the pub my wake is held.

I'm sorry I didn't know this pilot better, but also glad (as I don't know I could handle more contact). I have spoken with others that knew him and loved him in the last few days and feel very choked up when I contemplate the situation. My sincerest condolences and best wishes to his family and friends.

May I just add that we always tend to focus on the pilot or aircrew and neglect the passengers who employ us. There were two professionals onboard with the pilot who are with him for eternity. We should also respect their memory and thank them for being part of our team. It's such a shame we're not discussing this as a "concept" at a barbecue at my house.

HV

• Like 7

Very sad news. Condolences to the family and friends of those involved.

Fly safe!

Copied from the VIH.com website.

Media Release 01 August 2011 - It is with great sadness that VIH Helicopters Ltd. confirms a company- operated Bell 407 helicopter was involved in an accident on Sunday 31 July 2011 north of Stewart, B.C., resulting in three fatalities including one pilot and two passengers.

VIH Helicopters Ltd has its head office in North Saanich, B.C. and satellite bases throughout Western Canada.

VIH expresses our sincere condolences to the families and friends of the accident victims, and ask that their grief and privacy be respected at this time.

Investigators from both the RCMP as well as the Transportation Safety Board are currently involved in the investigation effort. However, the location of the accident site is particularly remote and primarily accessible by helicopter. Weather conditions in the area are currently hampering ongoing investigation efforts. VIH Helicopters respectfully awaits investigators and government agencies as they complete their investigation. We are actively working and cooperating with investigators.

The VIH family would like to take this opportunity to extend our heartfelt sympathies to those directly impacted by this tragedy. We continue to help where possible, family members of the deceased have been contacted and are being assisted with counseling and support.

• Like 1

It truly is the people we work with that make this the best job in the world and a reason why we all do what we do. It is a tragedy to lose one of our own as well as others.

My thoughts and condolences go out to the families and friends of those involved.

Please everyone, take a step back today and caution to the extreme safe side.