Roll Up

sounds like there is a training/learning/reading issue thats not going to make these problems go away anytime soon.

The FM is very specific and in my opinion obvious to the requirements, and looking at the vast difference in opinions here on how it's supposed to be done, i worry when the next incident will arise with similiar results.

This isn't rocket science boys, RTFM!

• Like 1

After taking over a machine from a high time pilot that was always leaving the collective unlocked and trying to start it (successful abort because it didn't sound quite right LOL)I examined my ad-hoc/bush starts:

1) My fault for not ensuring collective full down and locked

2) As a result of #1 I now do a physical check of the following prior to start...you might look like a rookie but it will solve all the problems regarding habits...even my chief pilot likes it!: DOWN UP DOWN...PULL. I don't just look...I go through the motions and actually touch the controls.

-brake DOWN..and push it down.

-throttle UP....and pull it up

-fuel cut-off DOWN....and push it down and look for brass lockwire!

-PULL the collective up...if it doesn't move then....

Start...

Yes it already says that in the checklist, but tell me the truth now, how many of you actually have one on your lap prior to start other than your PPC?

I only say this because as Pilots we are creatures of habit and this could have well been me...Human Factors 101. I feel for the driver

Fly Safe

Zazu

-

• Like 1

After taking over a machine from a high time pilot that was always leaving the collective unlocked and trying to start it (successful abort because it didn't sound quite right LOL)I examined my ad-hoc/bush starts:

2) As a result of #1 I now do a physical check of the following prior to start...you might look like a rookie but it will solve all the problems regarding habits...even my chief pilot likes it!: DOWN UP DOWN...PULL. I don't just look...I go through the motions and actually touch the controls.

Start...

Yes it already says that in the checklist, but tell me the truth now, how many of you actually have one on your lap prior to start other than your PPC?

I only say this because as Pilots we are creatures of habit and this could have well been me...Human Factors 101. I feel for the driver

Fly Safe

Zazu

Do the check geographically and it all gets done. Used to drive me nuts to have a 206 pilot check the throttle travel a gizzilion times before the start but not once on the astar start...

The high time fella probably left the collective unlocked for the reason that the spherical stops will last alot longer.

-

Start...

Why you guys fly that French Shyte is beyond me. Stick with Bell. Start engine(s).... fly away. Soooo simple!

The high time fella probably left the collective unlocked for the reason that the spherical stops will last alot longer.

Interesting statement, Skully. It was you that taught me that on a fire many years ago.

Why you guys fly that French Shyte is beyond me. Stick with Bell. Start engine(s).... fly away. Soooo simple!

It is said that on a Bell, when you pull up on the collective, the only thing that comes up is the needles on the gauges. :D