'Offshore' Definition

Just wondering what is the exact definition of 'Offshore' flying is?

I currently fly where I am over water 95% of the time, sometimes IFR sometimes VFR in a multi engine helicopter operation. I never land on any offshore platforms though, it's Airport to Airport or HLS all land based.

Does this constitute 'Offshore operations' ? Or is offshore mainly recognised in conjunction with landing on offshore platforms or vessels?

Cheers,

OB

Just wondering what is the exact definition of 'Offshore' flying is?

I currently fly where I am over water 95% of the time, sometimes IFR sometimes VFR in a multi engine helicopter operation. I never land on any offshore platforms though, it's Airport to Airport or HLS all land based.

Does this constitute 'Offshore operations' ? Or is offshore mainly recognised in conjunction with landing on offshore platforms or vessels?

Cheers,

OB

usually in my experience offshore means flying out to some sort of a floating thing (like an oil rig) landing on it .... and then flying back to terra ferma.

It's the landing at sea that makes it offshore.

Especially at night. Bags of fun.

Hmmm.......every crossing I made (for many years) across any body of water that fell into the, " beyond gliding distance from shore" kept certain things "puckered" enough too call it offshore....???!!!??

Like 100' above the Hecate Straight in the middle of winter in a clapped out S-58T?? Sure glad the Tundra days are a thing of the past.

I'd include it if it's up to you. I seem to recall when I first applied to an "offshore" job they included a bunch of 206 on floats time (to seal herds 90 miles out of YGR, 4 years running), so I'd meet the min requirements for the customer at the time. Depends on how bad they need you.

How about operating off a logging float camp? That's a floating platform, all operations over the water. Then add in long-lining off the float camp...What would pulling chokers off a 10x20 foot float in the middle of an inlet be considered?

Maybe the logging guys are high time offshore operators??????

I'm going to to go polish up my resume.

From the other forum, you know, the professional one, where people in the know actually hang out and post.

Offshore operations is defined in ICAO Annex 6 (and will be in EASA OPS); there are several linked definitions - they are:

Quote:

Offshore operations. Operations which routinely have a substantial proportion of the flight conducted over sea areas to or from offshore locations. Such operations include, but are not limited to, support of offshore oil, gas and mineral exploitation and sea-pilot transfer.

Operation. An activity or group of activities which are subject to the same or similar hazards and which require a set of equipment to be specified, or the achievement and maintenance of a set of pilot competencies, to eliminate or mitigate the risk of such hazards.

Note.— Such activities could include, but would not be limited to, offshore operations, heli-hoist operations or emergency medical service.

The term 'offshore operations' is used in Annex 6 (and EASA OPS) as a way of ensuring that appropriate Standards are applied when the majority of flying is over water (in connection with offshore operations).

The text is Annex 6 is sometimes 'open ended' to allow States to extend the definition to include other over-water activities "which are subject to the same or similar hazards and which require a set of equipment to be specified, or the achievement and maintenance of a set of pilot competencies, to eliminate or mitigate the risk of such hazards" (hence my inclusion of the definition of 'operation').

Under EASA OPS it is likely that 'offshore operations' will require a separate approval (as it does under JAR-OPS); it will set the objective standard (for existing prescriptive rules) and emphasise specific areas of operational procedures and crew training/checking. It is likely that this will be a Subpart under PART SPA and be applicable to all 'offshore operations' - i.e. including also those offshore operations which are not currently conducted/regulated under CAT.