Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

B206-A Longshaft Question

Topher

Hey Guys,

Long time listener, first time caller.

I've been working on an old AB206 and am having a hard time removing the hanger bearings that are seated on the rubber sleeves on the longshaft as part of the 3000hrly inspection.

They have been on there since Jesus played fullback for Bethlehem and simply don't want to budge.

The manual says to push the hanger bearings off as one assembly, with the rubber sleeves sliding along the (clean, lubed) longshaft.

Any ideas or past success stories would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would try a heat gun on the old rubber.

It may have been crazy glued in place if it was turning at some point.

lift the edges around the circumference with a rounded pick.

Fab a tool using (2) 2X2, holesaw the middle of the clamped 2x2's with a whole slightly larger than the shaft.

separate the 2x2's and rejoin them near the first (heated)bearing. Place the shaft against a wall protected by a 2x4 and Push on the 2x2's with all your might without flexing the shaft..

I find baby powder works better than lube/soap/water on removal but when reinstalling use soap/water cause the powder works too well and your rubber will rotate after running.

hope some of that helps, have fun.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll try the KY. Used Vaseline on the first one and couldn't get it to move. Had to carefully cut a lip off the rubber bushing and peel away the some of the bushing underneath the inner race. Managed to beat the hangar and bushing off but after a lot of effort.

I thought I'd have to make up a tool to make it a bit easier and prevent any potential damage and Nowhereman's sounds like the trick. All the suggestions are very much appreciated. Cheers!

Isopropal alcohol works great. It drys with out leaving a residue so the bearings wont spin.

OK

But here's another tip. Before you move anything use a sharpie and mark both sides of where the rubber meets the shaft. That way you know where to slide the new ones to. Iso will erase those marks.

Swede, I'm guessing you use Iso to put them on, not take them off? Or does it also work well for getting them off?

As for marking the bearings, I marked the painted floor with a sharpie. At least there's no chance of stuffing that one up.

They are some stubborn bushings, I'll try a few different options/lubes and I'll let you know how I go.

Thanks again!

Swede, I'm guessing you use Iso to put them on, not take them off? Or does it also work well for getting them off?

As for marking the bearings, I marked the painted floor with a sharpie. At least there's no chance of stuffing that one up.

They are some stubborn bushings, I'll try a few different options/lubes and I'll let you know how I go.

Thanks again!

The previously mentioned special tool (board with hole cut) and hammer gets them loosened and the Iso helps slide them down the shaft. The iso will lget under the rubber so you wont have to lift the edge and possibly damage the shaft.