Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Flight Time Vs. Air Time Personal Logbook

On ‎2018‎-‎09‎-‎19 at 11:38 PM, Blackmac said:

Thanks for this observation, "False Entries."

AIR TIME in an aircraft log book is what is used to calculate the life expectancy of the aircraft and every component attached to it, to maintain it's airworthiness for flight.

If it should happen that the operator would play with the entry, i.e 2.5 hrs. "Flight Time" and invoiced said time, BUT entered 2.0 hrs in the "Air Time",  column.

The operator just made a false entry in a log book.

It also decreases the airframe and component costs and increases the profit margin.

If you think this doesn't happen, think again.

Normally the hours invoiced, equal the hours in the AirTime log book or tech log.

There is one TC inspector who says he never checks the invoices in relation to the log book entries, maybe he should.    

I have never seen the log book time and the invoiced time match ever.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, MEOB said:

I have never seen the log book time and the invoiced time match ever.

Ditto. Last and only time I saw it match was on a contract where the customer was a mid-time rotary pilot who changed careers and knew the industry.

In work with more than one start per hour, it’s defensible to add the industry norm, locally here at least, of .1 per hour for starts on lights and intermediates. In a perfect world there’d be a start charge after the first, and air time billed. But this isn’t a perfect industry, I was shocked to learn. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, WCO said:

In work with more than one start per hour, it’s defensible to add the industry norm, locally here at least, of .1 per hour for starts on lights and intermediates. In a perfect world there’d be a start charge after the first, and air time billed. But this isn’t a perfect industry, I was shocked to learn. 

In a perfect world Pilots and engineers wouldn't be paid commission.    Then logbooks wouldn't get forged and invoices padded for a few more dollars commission. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Excerpt from April 16/19 e-mail:

“I am responding on behalf of Robert Sincennes who is currently away.  TCCA has received many comments on Draft Advisory Circular (AC) 700-052 - RECORDING FLIGHT TME FOR SKID-EQUIPPED HELICOPTERS and it has now completed a disposition of all comments.  These will be sent out shortly for all persons and operators who submitted them and when the consultation period and processes are complete, the AC can be issued.”

Best Regards,

Pierre Ruel

Pierre Ruel
Chief | Chef
Flight Standards| Normes des Opérations Aériennes
Standards Branch| Direction des Normes
Transport Canada | Transports Canada
330 Sparks St, 4th floor | 330 rue Sparks, 4e étage (AARTA)
Ottawa, Canada K1A 0N5
pierre.ruel@tc.gc.ca<mailto:pierre.ruel@tc.gc.ca>
613-998-9855

• 4 weeks later...

May 8/19 email:

Dear Sir,

We continue to work the file in addition to a number of other priority files.  Please note we do not send back the disposition documents to individual commenters, but will be sending the AC out again prior to being finalized. As such, you will be able to assess how your feedback would have been dispositioned.

Regards,

Robert Sincennes, P.Eng.

Director, Standards Branch

Tel: 613-991-2738   cell: 613-859-2796   facsimile / télécopieur : 613-952-3298

Internet: robert.sincennes@tc.gc.ca
Transport Canada | Transports Canada

• 1 month later...

While it’s not available on the TC Advisory Circular web page yet, Advisory Circular 700-052 has been issued and is effective August 1,  2019.

The HAC has taken a position in the their latest Communique and there is a link to the Advisory Circular in the Communique:

http://mediaedgedigital.com/supplierinsights/hac/transport-canada-issues-new-ac-on-the-recording-of-flight-time-and-air-time-in-skid-equipped-helicopters/

Just 1 question Mr. Jones, what exactly is “imdustry’s Long-standing practice”?

This forum alone seems to demonstrate that there has been no consistent,  long-standing practice from the industry.