Flight Time Vs. Air Time Personal Logbook

2 hours ago, Blackmac said:

CLIENT: Calling a helicopter company for rates on a helicopter for a job he want's to do. You automatically ask for what type of work, etc.

Operator: Suggests a B407 fully equipped for the job with a minimum of 4hrs/day, not including fuel costs, airport charges applicable crew costs.

CLIENT: Say's I'm not sure how long I will need the helicopter, would it be allright to average the 4hrs/day over the period of the contract.

Operator: You agree and accept a purchase order or contract. You also have a Tariff book in your office and send him a copy. (The one you wrote up yesterday.)

The hourly rate quoted is invoiced the customer, including whatever charges stated and agreed to in the contract/purchase order.

CLIENT: how much does that 407 lift,

OPS MANAGER;  we have proprietary bigly blades, so more than anyone else, where industry innovators,,,,

CLIENT: did he say Bigly......well its (insert year)..what ever....

OPS MANAGER:  you,,,,,,Meat servo,,,,,, where only paying you airtime for this job, if you don't like that 15-20% pay cut, you can always quit so i don't need to pay you severance .....I'm busy being a bigly industry innovator.......oh and by the way, the logbook needs to match flight tickets and unused mins need to be recored. Your only going to record the best flights,,,,,right,,,, anything else is well.......you know.....only the other guys do that.....but not us, we have iPads,  with a 30day free trial of netflix.......

MEAT SERVO: we'll thats BS........Meat servo then uses the industry standard bigly ops manager time keeping method,  hoping to exceed mins.    Over an industry standard 30-42day tour, bigly time keeping method earns Meat Servo an extra buck fifty.

OPS MANAGER;  I'm innovating,,,,, casually writes a memo in May....Dearest: Meat Servo, we only hire the best people, believe me,  but the company had no profit this year, so nothing will be shared......in fact you owe us hours, Owners Union says so,  arn't they the best people..Believe me, alway looking out for the little guy.....that 407 has the bilgiest blades, aren't they innovative.....hmmmmm i'm an innovator, i should exploit government programs for innovators.......SMRT

ENGINEER: ya that hour meters broken,  parts are on back back backorder......dreams of that extra .50c

DOM: puts head in sand.

Chief Pilot: spins around in a circle......Only a few more mooches before i'm outta here....

Owners Union: writes a letter trying to be relevant,,,,,,,Dearest (the void),,,,Mountain course are stupid and cost the industry bigly........ 

TC:  leaves early,,,, its friday and i'm a couple years from a stress leave transition to retirement.

Innovative circling of the toilet bowl continues.

Tune in next week,  when we explain how to drown someone in SMS......

This is a work of fiction, and no parts represents actual events.

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

3 hours ago, robottxt said:

OPS MANAGER;  we have proprietary bigly blades, so more than anyone else, where industry innovators,,,,

OPS MANAGER:  you,,,,,,Meat servo,,,,,, where only paying you airtime for this job, if you don't like that 15-20% pay cut, you can always quit so i don't need to pay you severance .....I'm busy being a bigly industry innovator.......oh and by the way, the logbook needs to match flight tickets and unused mins need to be recored. Your only going to record the best flights,,,,,right,,,, anything else is well.......you know.....only the other guys do that.....but not us, we have iPads,  with a 30day free trial of netflix.......

MEAT SERVO: we'll thats BS........Meat servo then uses the industry standard bigly ops manager time keeping method,  hoping to exceed mins.    Over an industry standard 30-42day tour, bigly time keeping method earns Meat Servo an extra buck fifty.

OPS MANAGER;  I'm innovating,,,,, casually writes a memo in May....Dearest: Meat Servo, we only hire the best people, believe me,  but the company had no profit this year, so nothing will be shared......in fact you owe us hours, Owners Union says so,  arn't they the best people..Believe me, alway looking out for the little guy.....that 407 has the bilgiest blades, aren't they innovative.....hmmmmm i'm an innovator, i should exploit government programs for innovators.......SMRT

ENGINEER: ya that hour meters broken,  parts are on back back backorder......dreams of that extra .50c

Chief Pilot: spins around in a circle......Only a few more mooches before i'm outta here....

Owners Union: writes a letter trying to be relevant,,,,,,,Dearest (the void),,,,Mountain course are stupid and cost the industry bigly........ 

TC:  leaves early,,,, its friday and i'm a couple years from a stress leave transition to retirement.

That was pretty good. But last sentence should read based on real events names of blades have been changed.

12 hours ago, robottxt said:

OPS MANAGER: the hour meter is not actually broken. Meat Servos keep entering it in the JLB as a defect because they think it’s calculating hours wrong.

In their defence, not all meat servos  realize that every other helicopter has a TC certified hour metre that uses a different method to calculate hours, Also every TC inspector they’ve ever met has different method., some of them work at different companies who use different methods to come up with differing numerical values. To top it off, according to TC, the school they paid 100,000 to for a licence taught them how to calculate hours wrong and they didn’t receive the minimum hours required for a licence (as per CARs).

9 hours ago, Freewheel said:

OPS MANAGER: the hour meter is not actually broken. Meat Servos keep entering it in the JLB as a defect because they think it’s calculating hours wrong.

MEAT SERVO: I applied the standard bigly time calculation,  every starts a 0.3 and never less than .2 on the invoice.. The hour meter didn't match at the end of day.  Its broken, and BTW your hour meters literally just a hole in the dash i put pens in. 

OPS MANAGER:  you need to make a logbook correction, you don't understand how expensive parts are. You took my words literally, and i have the best words, can't you read minds.  

MEAT SERVO: I'll need to change all the invoices too.

OPS MANAGER: whoa,,,,,,, back the F-up. You need to bill the client as much a possible, and record as little as possible in the JLB......but the books all need to match for the auditor... this isn't hard.  Starts are expensive, clearly you need to manage the client better. When i never did that job and crashed a few aircraft on my way into management, i made it work.

MEAT SERVO: You could charge more.

OPS MANAGER: why would we do that, i'm and industry innovator and i've invented a new way of helicoptering....the best way....

OPS MANAGER: see its simple, we need to cut labour costs, and paying you by the second airtime is best for the company.... Oh BTW the specialty flight pay we agreed to, was for special drills,  the job you where on, wasn't special enough drills, so your not getting paid that.  You need to listen better to words coming out of my mouth...they really are great......

MEAT SERVO: Do you have any more of those magic hour meter pens??!!!!!

CP: I see you found the magic pens....closes office door.

DOM: i didn't see that magic pen, but i know they exist since QA sent memo about them. QA needs to issue another memo about the hour meter not being a pen holder....stupid MEAT SERVOS.....  Oh well, looks likes where doing that engine overhaul early, but not really early, but it is early,  what ever,,,,Head back in sand. 

ACCOUNTANT:(Hours invoiced) x (tariff) = (bigger number better).......

AUDITOR: All the numbers matched,,, Meat Servo did and excellent job,,,, so,, we good

TC:  look at all that paper work, 'i's dotted 'T's crossed.... what a stressful day, better get a doctors note for next week.

disclaimer: again work of fiction.  Magic pens do not exist and obviously recording incorrect things in a JLB is illegal.  

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-12-16 at 8:53 AM, Freewheel said:

At least 1 TC Ontario inspector disagrees. This was sent out to 7 Ontario Helicopter operators last week:

Gentlemen

Please see the email chain below and the attached official interpretation of “air time” versus “flight time” for skid equipped helicopters.  To the point, air time and flight time are interpreted to be the same in skid equipped helicopters, this applies to all skid equipped helicopter operations.  Therefore there should be no difference in values entered in the Journey Log Book air time column from those entered into Flight and Duty Records, Pilot Training Records (CAR Subpart 7 operations) and Pilot Training Records (PTRs – CAR Subpart 4 operations) or any other regulatory requirement to record “Flight Time”.

Please comply with this interpretation from receipt of this email  if you have not already done so.

April 25, 2018

Good Morning,

Civil Aviation Standards in HQ is in the process of issuing an Advisory Circular on this subject very soon.  The interpretation provided to you by your principal inspector still stands and will be further explained in the AC when it gets published.

The AC will also be providing a transition period to allow operators to comply with the interpretation and hence, at this time we will not be taking any enforcement actions.

Standards in HQ is also working with HAC on the interpretation which stands.

Regards,

Imtiazali (Imi) Waljee

Associate Director, Operations East
Transport Canada / Government of Canada”

• 1 month later...

HAC Communique 

May 31/18

This Summer’s Flight Time Limits May be Higher that You Thought

You may recall from a previous HAC Newsletter, that Transport Canada recently imposed a new definition for “Flight Time” and “Air Time” for helicopters. Apparently, Flight Time and Air Time are now the same. This has caused some grief for the helicopter flight training community, and we know that Transport Canada is in the process of revisiting this new interpretation, so we suggest that you connect with your POI before making any precipitous changes one way or the other. Some charter operator-members have suggested that they must now use “Air Time” for the purpose of calculating Flight Time Limits, which would result in a 10-20% increase over more traditional calculations that use start-up to shut-down for the purpose of these Flight Time calculations. There has been some considerable confusion stemming from the new interpretation, so we suggest that you receive instructions from your Transport Canada Regional office in writing, before proceeding.  

http://www.naylornetwork.com/hcp-nwl/articles/index.asp?aid=504651&issueID=65688

On 4/23/2018 at 4:40 PM, robottxt said:

Well done. Funny stuff