Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Suspect Use Of A Machine

yep. the fun is officially out. We might have killed a lot of people back in the day but by God we sure had a good time.

I'm with Bobbo rainman. Too many rules. If you want to be perfectly safe park the machine and get a desk job. But be careful crossing the road.

What he said.

The problem is not the rules.

They have been around for a long time....and for very good reasons.

The problem is with these damm video cameras that record all our "fun",

then some bozo sticks it on youtube to show-off how cool his party was.

Let's face it....there isn't a lot of stuff in that video that is "dangerous".

It may not have been legal, or even sensible.....but for a lot of folks it was great fun.

It had a lot less risk than many of the jobs we do with a jet-box every day on the job.

Would I have flown that mission if requested??????? Maybe.

(I've done stuff very similar to that).

Would I do it if I knew there was a video camera recording it all.

No way !!!!!

• Like 1

Regulations aside, the pilot was flying nice, reasonable speed profiles ending up with consistent 15/5 runs (15' skid to water, approx 5 kts fwd) and cleared away from the divers shortly after dispatch, so well flown. My biggest concern in the actual execution of the dives would be security of the passengers, as there isn't a rappelmaster/jumpmaster in the cabin to direct/control the removal of safety belts at the appropriate time. In one shot, it looked like a swimmer was unbelted and on the skid while there was still some notable forward speed...this wouldn't worry me if that was a fully trained diver who had unbelted under direction at long final and at short final had moved out onto the skid, per SOPs, but from the earlier portion of the video, it did not appear as though any of the divers had done this before. As noted earlier, things can head South in a hurry; I had an inadvertent diver deployment above 40/40 (he jumped the gun on the short final call) and he got banged up pretty good with a collapsed lung and several broken ribs. In this case, the pilot appeared to be flying solidly and wasn't hot dogging, thus contributing to the successful outcome of the activity.

Regards

AV8

Quite frankly I don't need a rule to provide me with the common sense to not fly a single engine helicopter with no floats over water dropping divers. Reminds me of a seismic company asking if I could drop a large rock to simulate shock wave for recording. Thankfully there are rules which people who have common sense can to go for backup to protect those without common sense to protect the uneducated public. Oh yes you can get a permit and hopefully by then the uneducated would become educated enough to realize the potential dangers involved and let Darwin takeover and proper risks mitigated.

• Like 1

To plan such activity the operator needs to apply for an exemption. A risk analysis/evaluation must be submited to TC who in turn will review the application. Exemption like this would take around 3 months to obtain.

Regarding Skydiving activity, the operator must apply for the corresponding Ops. Spec. Fr such, the SOP must be included in the Ops. Manual. and approved by TC.

• Like 2

Regulations aside, the pilot was flying nice, reasonable speed profiles ending up with consistent 15/5 runs (15' skid to water, approx 5 kts fwd) and cleared away from the divers shortly after dispatch, so well flown. My biggest concern in the actual execution of the dives would be security of the passengers, as there isn't a rappelmaster/jumpmaster in the cabin to direct/control the removal of safety belts at the appropriate time. In one shot, it looked like a swimmer was unbelted and on the skid while there was still some notable forward speed...this wouldn't worry me if that was a fully trained diver who had unbelted under direction at long final and at short final had moved out onto the skid, per SOPs, but from the earlier portion of the video, it did not appear as though any of the divers had done this before. As noted earlier, things can head South in a hurry; I had an inadvertent diver deployment above 40/40 (he jumped the gun on the short final call) and he got banged up pretty good with a collapsed lung and several broken ribs. In this case, the pilot appeared to be flying solidly and wasn't hot dogging, thus contributing to the successful outcome of the activity.

Regards

AV8

I know you mean well, but don't cloud military proceedures with backyard redneckery (if thats even a word)

I could hold back and make an assumption that the pilot had a military background with the US Navy dropping SEALS into the mediteranean nightly during his 18 month tour to oust Saddam, but I more or less feel that this was a "**** yeah, I saw that on youtube, I can do it too" moment, that the pilot (should he be reading these pages) is probably regretting doing by now.

I know we don't see the registration of the jetbox, but it's not too hard to figure out. So the saavy TC people that frequent this site have probably already started the file by now.

Good luck Mr Pilot, let us know how they treat you. Hope it was worth it in the end. A dozen happy jumpers and hundreds of high fives and kudos for being the best pilot evah! don't come too often.

• Like 2