Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Suspect Use Of A Machine

Regulations aside, the pilot was flying nice, reasonable speed profiles ending up with consistent 15/5 runs (15' skid to water, approx 5 kts fwd) and cleared away from the divers shortly after dispatch, so well flown. My biggest concern in the actual execution of the dives would be security of the passengers, as there isn't a rappelmaster/jumpmaster in the cabin to direct/control the removal of safety belts at the appropriate time. In one shot, it looked like a swimmer was unbelted and on the skid while there was still some notable forward speed...this wouldn't worry me if that was a fully trained diver who had unbelted under direction at long final and at short final had moved out onto the skid, per SOPs, but from the earlier portion of the video, it did not appear as though any of the divers had done this before. As noted earlier, things can head South in a hurry; I had an inadvertent diver deployment above 40/40 (he jumped the gun on the short final call) and he got banged up pretty good with a collapsed lung and several broken ribs. In this case, the pilot appeared to be flying solidly and wasn't hot dogging, thus contributing to the successful outcome of the activity.

Regards

AV8

Oh boy... Now were talking! SOP's & proper flying profiles :blink:

The guy had a little fun, probably regrets it all now, at the end of the day no one was hurt. Sure theres potential for problems but there is always potential. Its so easy for all us armchair pilots to be so critical when its not us behind the controls. Think about that next time your taking off or landing with a group of fellow pilots watching. Heck I'm as critical as the next guy :D

• Like 1

Glad to know. I was wondering if it was a poor control of the helicopter after a sudden change of weight and balance.

No, not poor control -- it is one technique we use for lower speed diver casting - drop, then oblique slide away. At higher fwd speeds, we'll be clear of the divers in a few seconds so no change to post-drop vector. Preference usually goes to speed, vice height, so a 10/20 or 15/20 insertion (10' or 15' AHO, 20 kts forward speed) is a more frequent option...vertical speed from height builds up pretty quickly.

Regards

AV8

• Like 1

No, not poor control -- it is one technique we use for lower speed diver casting - drop, then oblique slide away. At higher fwd speeds, we'll be clear of the divers in a few seconds so no change to post-drop vector. Preference usually goes to speed, vice height, so a 10/20 or 15/20 insertion (10' or 15' AHO, 20 kts forward speed) is a more frequent option...vertical speed from height builds up pretty quickly.

Regards

AV8

Huh??

• Like 2

For reference, 0:22-0:29 looks to be 10/5's, likely for training/practice.

Regards

AV8

I love Taliban training videos like that.

Nothing like putting your skills out there for the world to see/learn

They all have their iphones tuned to you tube videos on the battleground.

"hey Allan Ahkbar, keep a look out over that ridge there, according to their youtube video, thats very similiar to their training video"

I love Taliban training videos like that.

Nothing like putting your skills out there for the world to see/learn

They all have their iphones tuned to you tube videos on the battleground.

"hey Allan Ahkbar, keep a look out over that ridge there, according to their youtube video, thats very similiar to their training video"

It's the official video assessed by and released by the Regiment and its parent Command. One could reasonably trust that they know what they are putting out on the web, and why they are doing so.

It would not be unreasonable to imagine that actually operations might be a bit "higher speed, lower drag" and in more challenging 'environmentals'.

Regards

AV8

• Like 1

maybe you feel you could trust them, but i'm not there yet.

heck i can't even trust the ones i elect to run this country.

the cream doesn't always rise to the top.

If by "them", you mean the Operators and Command staff, then yes, I do trust them.

For those whom I don't know (politicians included), my trust starts with their demonstrated principles and conduct. For that, many of us are likely in agreement.

Regards

AV8

p.s. I guess someone figured the off-topic injection warranted the triple reputation ding...all's fair, I suppose.

• Like 2