Sign in to follow this  
Auto Relight

A Few Closing Thoughts For The Year

" Nice people and shiny paint do not make professional pilots and well maintained aircraft."

AR your right, but its sure great when there is professional pilots and well maintained aircraft matched with that shiny paint and nice person!

• Like 1

" Nice people and shiny paint do not make professional pilots and well maintained aircraft."

AR your right, but its sure great when there is professional pilots and well maintained aircraft matched with that shiny paint and nice person!

An increasingly rare commodity.

• Like 1

I do not "profess," I am relaying concrete observations. Also, the statement you're referring to was an online attempt at sarcasm... guess it did't quite fly?

Unfortunately, AR, I intended the meaning of 'profess' that imputes speaking of personal observation or belief - sorry for that - and I did get the sarcasm, just intended to build on it. :rolleyes:

OK, so here's some fuel for the fire. We've all seen both pilots and engineers put pressure on themselves to keep aircraft flying and to keep flying the way the customer wants to so that there are no confrontations and they can stay on the job or be asked back. So with regards to why there seems to be a lack of professionalism out there, my question is, do any of you think flight pay leads to unsafe behaviour and decisions being made? Does flight pay benefit the employee or the employer? I mean flight pay does motivate the employee to keep that aircraft in the air making money for both. If you were on a comfortable salary, possibly with a safety incentive, would you be more OR less concerned about that growing snag list or taking off into weather you know is questionable?

Don't talk to my boss about this yet, I'm flying my *** off here and really enjoying the flight pay thing, hahaha

• Like 1

OK, so here's some fuel for the fire. We've all seen both pilots and engineers put pressure on themselves to keep aircraft flying and to keep flying the way the customer wants to so that there are no confrontations and they can stay on the job or be asked back. So with regards to why there seems to be a lack of professionalism out there, my question is, do any of you think flight pay leads to unsafe behaviour and decisions being made? Does flight pay benefit the employee or the employer? I mean flight pay does motivate the employee to keep that aircraft in the air making money for both. If you were on a comfortable salary, possibly with a safety incentive, would you be more OR less concerned about that growing snag list or taking off into weather you know is questionable?

Don't talk to my boss about this yet, I'm flying my *** off here and really enjoying the flight pay thing, hahaha

Very good question me thinks!

As for me, i'm in a fairly unique situation and don't get flight pay, just a good salary... What i've found is a more team like atmosphere where you are happy to hear a fellow company pilot is hired or flying their butt off! It's good for the company which keeps everything flowing. I personally would way rather be flying a bunch as opposed to lounging around. However I get paid the same...

Pushing limits with weather and such to continue earning revenue is not a great idea, I've pushed a poorly rigged machine because we were flying 8's...6 days later it quit...I don't push them anymore.

In my opinion, it's avery dynamic world out there, everybody has different experience bases and tolerances because of it... Half mile is half mile weather it's smoke or cloud or rain or snow. A machine that needs some lovin needs listening to. Take care of it and it will do it's best to take of you.

My 2 or 3 bits,

• Like 2

This a great question. From a engineering standpoint I can see both pro's and con's to this system. The pro's you are getting compensated for the amount of work you are doing. The field guy is making a little extra for having to work away from a base in a remote location.

The con's people can get caught up in making money and some end up letting things slide. My biggest issue is that the snags on a aircraft that has been operating great for the pilot when you asked him how things are going, suddenly has multiple problems that appear just before or shortly after a crew change. Or you arrive with a big box of parts that were ordered a week before the crew change. A con for the base guys is they end up fixing a machine for the field guy to take away and make flight pay on it.

• Like 1

I agree with the above.

from a pilot standpoint, flightpay works....following published regulations (regarding weather etc) to remove some variables, the more you fly the more you make. Not much to be discussed.

from an engineer side, it opens a whole lot of variables. the only way it can continue to work is if it's policed properly.

If an engineer makes 100 hours every two weeks and leaves a laundry list of snags for the next guy...report him to the boss. he got paid to do a job he basically avoided. make them accountable. extenuating circumstances aside, i think many lazy engineers would pick up the slack when confronted about their lack of credible work ethic. however a few might never get the light bulb lit.

You guys have no problems on here jacking all over a guy who does something wrong, so why can't you do it in the real world?

• Like 4

I for one think that having a couple less NZ'ers and definitely one less Aussie flying mediums this season, has raised the professionalism bar exponentially.

When you see the K1W1's and Ockkers bailing out of VFR into IFR - sit up and take heed Canada... things must be ****** and ya'll are a low $hit system.

Insightful as ever my friend. Enjoyed the read. Glad to hear all my good mates made it through another year with some remuneration firmly in hand.

Come to NZ for a flying sabbatical and get ready to write. I doubt there is enough bandwidth to describe the gong show happening around here.

Note all Canadians:

There is one kiwi/canuk riding the Auckland motorway daily with a decent sized flag of CANADA jammed in the backpack and creating quite a bit of parasite drag at 130km/hr. It's great to see the patriotism for the Rugby World Cup but the maple leaf is overwhelmed by the thousands of flags of Tonga (which happen to be Red and White too) and I am sure some people are ignorant to be thinking "gosh... that's a white looking Tongan?!"

Go Canada GO.

If an engineer makes 100 hours every two weeks and leaves a laundry list of snags for the next guy...report him to the boss. he got paid to do a job he basically avoided. make them accountable. extenuating circumstances aside, i think many lazy engineers would pick up the slack when confronted about their lack of credible work ethic. however a few might never get the light bulb lit.

Probably the most insulting and degrading posts ever made on this site, by a factor of at least 10.

Trust me, Bucko, you ARE on my list of truly dedicated ARSEHOLES!!

• Like 1

Guest Angry Egg Driver

Probably the most insulting and degrading posts ever made on this site, by a factor of at least 10.

Trust me, Bucko, you ARE on my list of truly dedicated ARSEHOLES!!

Haha..you have no problem slagging pilots all the time.Kinda funny when an engineer slags another engineer.

Dont get your panties in a bunch.

• Like 7