Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

So what is LTE anyways

Randster

So what is LTE anyway?

Who coined the phrase?

What are its component parts?

What should its real name be?

Not sure where this question comes from in relation to this thread, but LTE as I know it stands for "Loss of Tail rotor Effectiveness".

Don't know who coined the phrase, but the first time I read of it I think was in W.J. Wagtendonk's "Principles of Helicopter Flight" (ISBN 1-56027-217-1).

I don't think there's any better way to describe it, unless you want to call it "Tail rotor vortex ring state", but that would just confuse us simple folk with respect to VRS... :blink:

Don't you just hate TLAs ?

Not sure where this question comes from in relation to this thread, but LTE as I know it stands for "Loss of Tail rotor Effectiveness".

Don't know who coined the phrase, but the first time I read of it I think was in W.J. Wagtendonk's "Principles of Helicopter Flight" (ISBN 1-56027-217-1).

I don't think there's any better way to describe it, unless you want to call it "Tail rotor vortex ring state", but that would just confuse us simple folk with respect to VRS... :blink:

Don't you just hate TLAs ?

Yep,

LTE ... loss of tail rotor effectiveness

4 component parts:

1. Main Rotor Vortex Ring State

2. Tail Rotor Vortex Ring State

3. Weathercocking Stability

4. Loss of Translational Lift

Each part in and of itself is no big deal.

It takes all in combination to cause a catastrophy.

The US Army coined the term. Bell calls it "Unanticipated Right Yaw"

It really should be called "LATE" for pilot late with corrective action!

There is a very good story how Don Bloom, a Bell test pilot validated the event after the Army claimed the tail rotor on the OH58s were stalling.