Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Away From Base Pay

alphadog

Since the dawn of time I have received a tax free "away from base"/" camp allowance" pay whenever I was not sleeping in my bed that night.The particular sum came in my account separately from my paid receipts for food or lodging acquired.It happened for years and it still happens regardless if I fly in Canada or overseas.I have few friends out there,some of which are not so junior pilots that do not get away from base pay or if they get it, it is expected of them to spend it on food and do not charge the company said invoices.I am not sure if this tax free pay its legislated somewhere or it is a so called "perks".Please enlighten me.

I get a per diem and a away from base pay separately. Per diem is non-taxed, and is in lieu of submitting receipts for meals. Hotels/gas/supplies are submitted separately, but are payed on the same reimbursement cheque (all non-taxed). My away base is taxed, because it is an incentive. Just like flight pay. It is a pay incentive to do away from base work.

Since the dawn of time I have received a tax free "away from base"/" camp allowance" pay whenever I was not sleeping in my bed that night.The particular sum came in my account separately from my paid receipts for food or lodging acquired.It happened for years and it still happens regardless if I fly in Canada or overseas.I have few friends out there,some of which are not so junior pilots that do not get away from base pay or if they get it, it is expected of them to spend it on food and do not charge the company said invoices.I am not sure if this tax free pay its legislated somewhere or it is a so called "perks".Please enlighten me.

The only non-taxable stipend you can legally receive is for subsistence (i.e. food) or lodging (when the company or client isn't covering that separately). If you are receiving "Bush Pay" or "Away From Base" pay it is completely taxable. Even per diems, intended for food, can be taxable if Rev Can decides that the amount is excessive for the cost of living where you're working. It has come up numerous times that they question per diems when you work in "civilization", such as your main hangar but get paid as if you're out in High Level or something. What I find particularly funny about that is nobody, and I mean nobody, gets a higher per diem than the friggin government workers!

Anyway, if I was you Alphadog, I don't think I'd be mentioning the "since the dawn of time" thing to anyone... That could cause you and your fellow employees some grief... I was with a company that Rev Can actually spied on and kept track of company vehicles and who drove them and for what... Several people received massive tax bills for this use as a non-declared taxable perk... Of such things are revolutions made in my opinion...

HV

"nobody recieves a higher perdiem than the friggin government workers."

Not true HV, I worked for a company within the last few years that was contracted out to a "Bird" company based out of Toronto, that paid higher per diems.

But it is good that those friggin government workers get a decent per diem, the bar has to be set, it sure doesn't get set very high in the VFR helicopter business.

"nobody recieves a higher perdiem than the friggin government workers."

Not true HV, I worked for a company within the last few years that was contracted out to a "Bird" company based out of Toronto, that paid higher per diems.

But it is good that those friggin government workers get a decent per diem, the bar has to be set, it sure doesn't get set very high in the VFR helicopter business.

That was hyperbole... But in general, across industry, especially when the number of people are factored in, government pays on average 15-25% more than private industry. The only reason I mentioned it was because Revenue Canada wants to tax per diems (and your "Bird" company sounds like a juicy target for them) and it's a constant battle for larger companies to fend them off, while those Revenue Canada people are part of an organization that pays more (on average) than the people they are trying to tax. Irony for sure.

HV