Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Maintenance Type Training

Heliian

Good Day All,

There has been some talk about type courses recently and I'm a little confused as to the state of it.

First, I noticed that BCIT's approvals are all expired now, will they be getting them back?

Second, as far as I can decipher, your M1 or M2 license gives you authority to sign a maintenance release on all turbine helicopters, the requirement for type courses has disappeared and I think that it's only a requirement of a company's mpm/mcm or is it a requirement for commercial operators?

And finally, A helicopter company recently had an ad up for engineers R44 and 350 and they said that a TC approved course on the 44 was an asset, as far as I know, there are no 44 courses approved by TC.

The reason I ask is that I'm interested in having signing authority on the B3 and 355 but don't want to waste time and money with a type course or differences course if it's not required. As a note, I already have experience working on both versions and arrius 2/arriel 2/c20/c20r.

Thanks in advance for your help guys and gals, keep em flyin safe.

I

The onus is on the AMO to provide training. Most would not want the liability of having an engineer sign out work without a endorsement on type, even if it isn't a requirement of the CAR's anymore. (Is it really not anymore??) If something went sideways the lawyers would have a field day if they found out the engineer had not be trained on type...

And as far as I know the RHC factory course in Torrence is TC approved.

BTW, it's an Arrius 1A/1A1 in the newer 355's, not a 2F, so a little different.

As far as I know the requirements haven't recently changed.

You must have type training to work on any turbine powered helicopter.

Small piston powered helicopters are a different matter. There has never been a requirement to have type training to work on them. Of course your employer may require type training IAW their MPM.

cheers,

RTR

Thanks RTR, I finally found the ref in 571.11(4) I had seen these before but it took some digging to find it again. So having found that, another question I have is regarding the type rating. Does having one course on a type allow you the priveleges on all variants of that same type certificate ie. the bell206a/b/l/407 and as350/355 or RR250 c20/28/30/47

Cheers.

I

As of a couple of days ago, I did not seen any robinson products on TC's list of approved courses.

You don't need a type course on an R22/44 as its piston powered so that's possibly why its not showing as TC approved because its not required? And having one course on type does not allow blanket privileges. I believe 206A/B/L is combined as one airframe course, 407 is separate. RR250 C20/28 is one course, C30/C40/C47 is another.

Refer to my post on 355 differences course...remember, your type course (airframe or engine) must be TC approved. You can have a "company course TC approved", but that is usually a one off, and is not portable, meaning it can only be used for ACA issue privileges for the company that the TC approval was issued to. Went thru that a couple of years ago trying to issue ACA to well qualified AME who held a Can.Heli. 206 airframe and engine course cert which TC would not allow to be used for ACA purposes for the company (not CH) I worked for at that time. Very frustrating.

Does having one course on a type allow you the priveleges on all variants of that same type certificate ie. the bell206a/b/l/407 and as350/355 or RR250 c20/28/30/47

Transport explained it to me a few years back as relating to the type certificate. 250-C20/28 is one type certificate, C30/47 is a different certificate thus you need an extra course for C30/47. If you have AS350/Arriel 1 and move to AS355, you already have the airframe (AS350 and 355 are same airframe type certificate, although a differences course would be wise), but would need an engine course (Arriel 1 won't help you for RR or Arrius engines).

In other words, if it has a separate type certificate (airframe or engine) you need the course, except for piston powered helicopters.

Forgot to add:

The best resource (as recommended by Transport) is the FAA website: http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/MainFrame?OpenFrameSet

Find your airframe or engine to see if it is a separate type certificate. For example, Arriel 1 and 2 are separate, thus if you have an Arriel 1 course but want to work on a B3, you need an Arriel 2 course.