Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Loss Of Engine Oil Pressure In Flight

Jamhands

Back in the day, when I toiled for Her Majesty, we had an RAF exchange officer cold wx testing a Hiller 12E who experienced lost transmission pressure cruising at 2K AGL. He closed the throttle, the rotor wound down, and he thundered in exceeding 22G.

My VERY golden rule ever since has been KEEP THE ENGINE GOING AND GET TO THE SURFACE AS FAST AS YOU CAN.

Only ever had one application of the rule, but the presssure loss was accompanied by heat ddue to a substantial leak, no sweat.

• Like 2

FYI, the 350 freewheel maintains a separate lubrication system from the engine.

Loss of engine oil does not affect freewheel function.

So what does lubricate the freewheel in a 350 then? Its sure not the transmission oil as is done in BHT products as there are no external lines run between the two.

I dunno, i'd have to look at schematics alot closer to see what part the rear bearing has in it, and i don't have any books in front of me.

Well, if you 'dunno', maybe you should hold off on the 'FYI's'.

So what does lubricate the freewheel in a 350 then? Its sure not the transmission oil as is done in BHT products as there are no external lines run between the two.

Similar to the 500 clutch, the Arriel freewheel has it's own supply of oil internally. It used to be serviced in the field, but now it's a sealed unit.

my FYI was spot on, you verified that with your last post. So clearly you knew the answer anyways.

The "dunno" was simply because you added another twist regarding a rear bearing, which i chose not to comment on until i could look at it further. Is that a problem?? If you wanna be a d*ck about that, that speaks volumes. *thumbs down*

So now that I have had a look, your not having to worry about the rear bearing at all. The clutch will work ....as designed... regardless.

• Like 1

Back in the day, when I toiled for Her Majesty, we had an RAF exchange officer cold wx testing a Hiller 12E who experienced lost transmission pressure cruising at 2K AGL. He closed the throttle, the rotor wound down, and he thundered in exceeding 22G.

My VERY golden rule ever since has been KEEP THE ENGINE GOING AND GET TO THE SURFACE AS FAST AS YOU CAN.

Only ever had one application of the rule, but the presssure loss was accompanied by heat ddue to a substantial leak, no sweat.

What was the OAT and the type/viscosity of the oil being used?

Were the auto rev's checked and verified to be in specification?

• Like 1