Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Loss Of Engine Oil Pressure In Flight

Jamhands

FYI, the 350 freewheel maintains a separate lubrication system from the engine.

Loss of engine oil does not affect freewheel function.

Mabey check out 1D1 M/M 79-00-00-870-801-A01, Oil system operation figure 3. Freewheel lubricated by oil jet # 18, pressure supplied by engine oil pump. Its not separate, I hate seeing people quote stuff as fact without knowing for sure.

• Like 1

Mabey check out 1D1 M/M 79-00-00-870-801-A01, Oil system operation figure 3. Freewheel lubricated by oil jet # 18, pressure supplied by engine oil pump. Its not separate, I hate seeing people quote stuff as fact without knowing for sure.

I wont argue Snark, I never checked the 1D1 specifically and you gotta awknowledge the fact that the poster in question wasn't model specific either. I corrected him correctly on a different model. And I don't believe I did it in a dickish manor. Yet his response was.

But lets go one step further and get a little "snarky" with a rebuttal. (seems it's the vertical way)

hows the clutch work?

and is it under any specific loads during auto rotation that could possibly cause a problem during the short duration auto you're about to execute?

ummm...quick answer no. the clutch spins freely, the sprags simply ride along on residual oil and before they even think about heating up / breaking down/ or otherwise cause a catastrophic failure themselves, you're on the ground, blades coasting down, calling your boss on the sat phone....

So, you might have got me on a minor technical foul....albiet a pointless one. Have a nice day.

• Like 2

I wont argue Snark, I never checked the 1D1 specifically and you gotta awknowledge the fact that the poster in question wasn't model specific either. I corrected him correctly on a different model. And I don't believe I did it in a dickish manor. Yet his response was.

But lets go one step further and get a little "snarky" with a rebuttal. (seems it's the vertical way)

hows the clutch work?

and is it under any specific loads during auto rotation that could possibly cause a problem during the short duration auto you're about to execute?

ummm...quick answer no. the clutch spins freely, the sprags simply ride along on residual oil and before they even think about heating up / breaking down/ or otherwise cause a catastrophic failure themselves, you're on the ground, blades coasting down, calling your boss on the sat phone....

So, you might have got me on a minor technical foul....albiet a pointless one. Have a nice day.

So I have to ask, what model did you correctly correct me on? I had assumed either correctly or incorrectly that it was the Arriel.

My point was that since the freewheel on the EC120 is completely contained in the MGB, keeping the engine running would have a very small chance of affecting the auto-rotation, of course in a worst case scenario. However other aircraft such as the AS350, which has the freewheel in the engine, there is more to consider, again in a worst case scenario, such as the rear bearing seizing and shearing the T/R output.

And you wonder why people give you negative reps the odd time you aren't being a dink.

This topic has gone way off topic( normal for here)

It started of as a EC120 question then spiraled out of control again

Question to the 120 Pilots what would you do if you had a oil pressue indication?

Thanks Elvis,

I would do in a 120, the same steps I would do in any other machine that I am endorsed on...1) POLE DOWN 2)SECURE AUTOROTATION WITH AIRSPEED AND TRIM. 3) LOOK FOR, AND DETERMINE MY LANDING SITE (once the 2 previous steps have been achieved, make no mistake this IS my primary/only/singular focus)

4)IF, and I do mean IF, I have time and remember (do take Helidudes synopsis seriously please), I might get a mayday call out on the radio...which is always discussed in every PPC I've taken.

These are things that every pilot on this site knows off by heart and according to every PPC that we all have taken. My point being that I have taken the 120 factory endorsement and through it all, I was never once reminded, corrected or told to kill the engine (verbalised of course) in that scenario in our post flight briefings...it was simply put "LAND IMMEDIATLY".

Fly Safe All

Zazu

• Like 3