Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Loss Of Engine Oil Pressure In Flight

Jamhands

Guest plumber

statisticall speaking, poor PDM causes more to be carried by 6 than judged by 12. food for thought.

PDM is a few seconds and if I can buy a couple more I will!

However other aircraft such as the AS350, which has the freewheel in the engine, there is more to consider, again in a worst case scenario, such as the rear bearing seizing and shearing the T/R output.

And you wonder why people give you negative reps the odd time you aren't being a dink.

has there been any documented cases of this? ever?

• Like 2

This topic has gone way off topic( normal for here)

It started of as a EC120 question then spiraled out of control again

Question to the 120 Pilots what would you do if you had a oil pressue indication?

what should they do?? if they elect to not shut down the engine, is prepare for a failure of the gas generator bearing...thats what.

• Like 2

I recall in or about 2004 there was an AD about replacing/changing parts in the oil supply lines on the 2F engine. I believe there were 3 or 4 documented cases of power failure and the engine violently coming apart. One particular in India I think. I will still follow the flight manual procedures though....

I can't believe this thing is replacing the Jetranger.

it's not replacing the jetranger by any means, only an alternative. And so far in canada, it's shown to be a mediocre alternative.

But we could argue all day long on the reasons. Could it be cost...a 1973 clapped out jetranger is bought and payed for ten times over so it's hard to justify buying new if your customer is happy with a 40 year clapped out jetranger...and there are still many customers out there googly eyed for anything that can land vertically and not aware of the better technology out there.

• Like 1

I can't believe this thing is replacing the Jetranger.

Be careful what can of worms you open my friend, one could make the argument that the JetRanger has had far more problems over the years than the EC120 so far. There are plenty of AD's to prove it.

• 3 months later...

Mabey check out 1D1 M/M 79-00-00-870-801-A01, Oil system operation figure 3. Freewheel lubricated by oil jet # 18, pressure supplied by engine oil pump. Its not separate, I hate seeing people quote stuff as fact without knowing for sure.

That applies to post mod TU 153 only. Pre mod is a self contained lubricating system (reservoir) in the freewheel unit.

You quoted the system description and operation section where they clearly warn you "Not all of the technical differences related to variants and options are described systematically"

I refer you to 72-01-10-210-801-B01 for the procedure of checking and re-filling the self contained reservoir. They have since realized that the system does not need its own oil supply in the event of an engine failure and the clutch will survive an autorotaion while being starved of oil. (there is little if any contact of the sprags when the clutch is released in the autorotation configuration).

We are all on here to share knowledge and experience and become better at what we do(at least I am ?) so I hate to see people like you try to jump on someone over a completely insignificant technical difference, especially when you are wrong.

• Like 1