Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Bell 206 Power Check Calculator

I'm can see the point that H56 is making. As an instructor that used to do recurrency with both private and commercial I have seen a few people that forgot those building blocks that one learns in flight school. For example, the #1 rule in navigation. If you don't know the area know where you are on the map. I recall doing a ferry flight with a private Robbie Ranger in his own A/C and failed his GPS for practice 2 things happened; 1. he was lost right away, and 2. he bought another GPS in case the 1st one crapped out. Too many pilots are not comfortable without having the pink line to follow to their destination!

The App for reference at this point is great! If you can get manufacturer's approval, even better! Good on you for making things simpler.

Don't get me wrong, I fully embrace technology I just think one must not replace a required knowledge and skillset with some thing that can fail.....

Don't use it as an excuse to abandon your knowledge base

• Like 2

And I actually feel good that you only picked on me and left the dozen or so others that pointed out your inept attitude. Makes me smile that I touched a nerve. Now go back to the bottle or whatever it is that makes you a cranky old fart and watch your stocks and bonds and get ready for retirement. Sounds like you need a hobby.

Hmmm....yep, this from someone for years here that has berated, argued, insulted, and generally picked at most members with your holier than thou, overly opininated attitude !!

You.....touch a nerve???? Again.....your arrogance is showing little man !!!!

• Like 4

Most of the power check charts that I've seen in the FM aren't exactly scientifically accurate to multiple decimal points anyways. It would give you a quick check that would satisfy the crew on those days when there is no way you are digging into the flight manual after flying a long day. If it comes up being near failure, then it would be worth it to dig into the FM and be sure that it passes.

Wouldn't be the first power check program that isn't approved by anybody and has a disclaimer when you open it admitting as much.

Most of the power check charts that I've seen in the FM aren't exactly scientifically accurate to multiple decimal points anyways. It would give you a quick check that would satisfy the crew on those days when there is no way you are digging into the flight manual after flying a long day. If it comes up being near failure, then it would be worth it to dig into the FM and be sure that it passes.

Wouldn't be the first power check program that isn't approved by anybody and has a disclaimer when you open it admitting as much.

What you say is very true. At times it's even difficult to get accurate results using the original chart for example the TOT lies are drawn for the B2 at 737 and 766 degrees, if the TOT gauge read 750 degrees, this would mean the line drawn would have to intercept 45% (or 44.8% if I were to be a stickler for detail) of the distance from the 737 line between the 737 and 766 lines, but how accurately can you really draw this line in that position, whereas a computer can do it much more accurately.

• Like 1

I just remembered why I don't read this forum often.

H56

I guess you don't use a calculator, just incase it's wrong, or an electronic weight and balance XL program. It's a great Idea, at least it will back up your calculations.

Enjoy using your Abacus.

Jeff Ryan

• Like 2

Build the darn App I am tired of selecting the right sized pen for the Aircraft. I think going to the computer is a good thing for some stuff. I do think a map is a very important tool to know how to use.

Be easy on H56 he is old and been in a crane for far to long. The god like crane tude comes out once and a while.

• Like 1