Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Bell 206 Power Check Calculator

On the contrary it is being done first of all to "lighten everyone up" and to show that technology is not the end all. As for speed and accuracy, how is the phone going to be more accurate and faster than the old tried and true paper and pen? It still relies on the operator entering the information properly. I equate it as a hamster with a food pellet. Enter the information correctly here's the food pellet. You don't enter it correctly, no food pellet and you have no idea why. Here is a great example of technology in action. Over 100 AME students have been asked how many pieces of wire 4 ft long can be made from a wire 36 feet long. 30% can do it in their heads, the rest are the hamster looking for the food pellet or at the least, their calculator. By the way, its 9.

Same reason a calculator is faster and more accurate?? Try doing Trig. in your head LOL. I don't know why so many are opposed to this app? To not move forward with new technology, whether it be a simple W&B app is narrow minded. As long as the old fashioned way is there (which it is) to follow up, if your phone is lost or dead. Same applies with our GPS usage, maps at the ready incase it packs it in before the flight is over.

Aviation like any other industry needs to keep up with the changing times.

49merc

Power checks are rarely entered on a regular basis. The charts in the flight manual are overused and riddled with dots. Most pilots either don't even understand wether they have passed or failed. An app will make all this a little simpler to deal with.

I really don't know why people want to force a paper and ruler on those who already use this as an excuse for not doing it. You want info and participation then make it easy and convenient. Sorry I don't want to wait for my car to warm up, drive downtown, stand in line, fumble with envelopes and deposit slips, I just pick up my phone and pay all my bills in a couple of minutes. Convenience is key. Why fight human nature? Maybe we should still walk wherever we go rather than fly?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Funny you mentioned that, I was just thinking of developing this into an app.

Problem is that I need to invest $99 into an Apple dev license and I'm not sure I'd make back the investment, what are your thoughts? Are there enough helicopter pilots/engineers out there with an iPhone that would be interested in this?

I paid $9.99 for ibal and I would pay the same for a power check app as well.

• 1 month later...