Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Helicopter Fatal ?

As an astute young aviator, you'd know that it's a legal requirement to file a Flight Plan to cross an International Boundary.

I'm assuming that this pilot did, arriving and clearing customs in Cranbrook, then departing northbound to YRV on a company note or itinerary filed with a responsible person ?

The authorities will have that info. If he didn't well then ...Hmmmm? the plot thickens?

My shortest International flight plan was from Victoria International to Friday Harbor WA, or about a 0.3 flight.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The wife of the helicopter registered in Boulder, Colo. (twenty minutes from me) that crashed in the Canadian province of BC Tuesday has been notified but an official identification has not been made. "She just said he loved to fly and look at the mountains," Capt. Dale Morgan of the RCMP said. Snowmobilers in the area heard the crash and notified authorities. RCMP and TSB investigators are trying to determine what caused the R-44 helicopter to crash; the body has been recovered. No word yet of identity, flight plan or cause. That's all the news from this end...except to say it's sad no matter the outcome...

Be safe up there!

TQniece -----just a small correction.......there are no Captains in the RCMP nor have there ever been. The only "military-type rankings" they have are: Corporal, Sgt, Staff Sgt, Sgt. Major (one for each Province) and Regimental Sgt Major (of which there is only one for the whole RCMP. All the rest of the ranks have non-military type names. The RCMP equivalent of a military Captain would be something like a Superintendant.

:) Zazu....Best of the new year to you . Yep, even looking down I still get cedar up the ????? Must be left overs from all the years flying blocks also. Top choke...."DOH"...Hate those almost as much as a gypsie that was never mentioned on that turn. I think if I remember on that avatar picture of mine, what you can not tell is the size of my eyeballs :shock: as I just realized that as I was nosed over going down the hill with the turn and the rigger was hitching a ride as it was a friday payday, and wanted off the hill "NOW"... :lol::lol::lol:

:) Zazu....Best of the new year to you . Yep, even looking down I still get cedar up the ????? Must be left overs from all the years flying blocks also. Top choke...."DOH"...Hate those almost as much as a gypsie that was never mentioned on that turn. I think if I remember on that avatar picture of mine, what you can not tell is the size of my eyeballs  :shock: as I just realized that as I was nosed over going down the hill with the turn and the rigger was hitching a ride as it was a friday payday, and wanted off the hill "NOW"... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Was he nuts??? I might want to get time off too ,but hitchin' a ride down to the landing with a load of logs has to be the craziest thing i've ever heard of! He must have big balls to try that, or one too many hooks to the side of the head.

Thanks for H56's translation, arctic_f. :)

More about the Boulder pilot who died in BC on Tuesday, 28 Dec, from his obituary in today's Boulder Daily Camera:

His name was Burton A. Goodman and he'd been vacationing in British Columbia. He was 45 and a Detroit native who lived in Boulder. Attended University of Colorado, where he graduated magna *** laude with a degree in organic chemistry as well as Columbia University in New York City, where he graduated with a Ph.D. in organic chemistry. He received his post-doctoral education from the University of Colorado in Boulder and worked in the medical field developing antiobiotics. Mr. Goodman was an avid hiker, biker and mountaineer, and spent countless hours on trails and roads in Colorado and the Northwest. He was a helicopter pilot and was passionate about flying. He loved the arts, music, painting and film. He left behind a wife and a son.

No news reports of cause, flight plan or anything else thus far. Just thought someone might be interested...

..heard that the crash site was about 30 Km west of Canal Flats. That area has extremely rugged terrain, wonder why an American R-44 wouldn't just follow the (Columbia) valley route?

Only thing that comes to mind is that he must have been trying to go direct CYXC > CYRV.

The weather was good that day, just a typical valley cloud layer between 6000 and 7,000....thick and sticky enough to slow down the local operators though.