Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Jan Elbe

Guest JetboxJockey

Guest 47yrLowTimer

I have heard that Jan is thinking of retiring in the very near future.

It has been almost 20 years since I worked with Jan but I feel that his contributions this industry should not go unnoticed. Jan took me under his wing way back when. Long before Mentoring became the norm. I have no idea how many others that Jan mentored over the years.

I could go on and on and I'm sure many of you have stories and experience working with him.

I have put forth my nomination for Jan at HAI as Pilot of the Year and hope others will support me on this. (http://www.rotor.com/Events/SalutetoExcellenceAwards/2012SaluteExcellence/tabid/585/e/1/Default.aspx).

I cannot think of someone more deserving and that has given so much to this industry.

I have heard that Jan is thinking of retiring in the very near future.

It has been almost 20 years since I worked with Jan but I feel that his contributions this industry should not go unnoticed. Jan took me under his wing way back when. Long before Mentoring became the norm. I have no idea how many others that Jan mentored over the years.

I could go on and on and I'm sure many of you have stories and experience working with him.

I have put forth my nomination for Jan at HAI as Pilot of the Year and hope others will support me on this. (http://www.rotor.com/Events/SalutetoExcellenceAwards/2012SaluteExcellence/tabid/585/e/1/Default.aspx).

I cannot think of someone more deserving and that has given so much to this industry.

I completely agree, and ...

... done - for lifetime achievement.

ps Jan has been "retiring" for as long as I have know him - that's about 40 years now.

I agree...i think Jan definitely deserves this award as pilot of the year for HAC. He gave me my endorsment in the 212 many years ago an mentored me in mediums long after that. I will never forget some of the long discussions during training where he showed time and again his wealth of knowlege in Bell mediums. He truly is one of the pioneering pilots in our industry and im sure has had a part in many careers of pilots flying today.

S.D.

I had 100 hours and a licence with wet ink in 1984.

I got into the front of a 204 with Jan just to ride along, and he said "You've got control".

"HUH???" was the smartest response I could muster.

"Well, you've got a licence haven't you? It's a helicopter, pick it up, and let's go!", he said.

WOW! That was an amazing day to watch and learn something from a master.

Jan, sincere thanks for all that I learned that day, so much of which I still use daily,

27 years later.

Western Canada is not an easy place to fly, yet Jan has being flying and mentoring others here for so long, I cannot think of anyone more deserving of such an award.

Good luck with this,

OT

p.s. The HAI awards committee is aware of this page.

Even if you haven't shared a cockpit with Jan, you've probably bucketed beside him,

so please post a reply here.....and also click the link in the first post to add your vote.

I first met Jan on a fire...we were working out of Bisset Manitoba..and yes we were bucketing side by side...we both were working for Midwest...I had JRH,a jetbox and Jan had a 204,can't remember the registration..could have been RUS,DZE,RSR,SHB,...anyways... we had a great week together...that was back in '84...ran into Jan almost every summer for the next 20 years...either in Manitoba or Ontario on fires..as well Jan did most of the heliskiing for Midwest out of Revelstok until he went to work for that other outfit in BC..HAH!!!good luck and best wishes ....pottsy :up:

Jan whipped me pretty hard in 87 but it sure paid off, its unfortunate the industry doesn't grasp ahold of more people like Jan to mentor the new generations. It takes alot of patience, skill, caring and money to sustain this proactive approach. Not many people or companies have the get up and go and want to do this. There's alot of importance in the past 5 years on SMS and all other paper pushing time comsuming and confusing "stuff", that does little to mold a front line pilot, thats why Jans ability's are so rare indeed. Jan does more than talk, talk, talk. He shows pilots how to really fly!

Way to go Jan!

Tom K.

post-716-0-76350100-1319811437_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Guest 47yrLowTimer

Jan whipped me pretty hard in 87 but it sure paid off, its unfortunate the industry doesn't grasp ahold of more people like Jan to mentor the new generations. It takes alot of patience, skill, caring and money to sustain this proactive approach. Not many people or companies have the get up and go and want to do this. There's alot of importance in the past 5 years on SMS and all other paper pushing time comsuming and confusing "stuff", that does little to mold a front line pilot, thats why Jans ability's are so rare indeed. Jan does more than talk, talk, talk. He shows pilots how to really fly!

Way to go Jan!

Tom K.

Couldn't have put it better myself. The Industry NEEDS more Jan Elbe's. Pilots that have the knowledge and patience to show the new guy on the block how to safely fly and milk a helicopter. I learned more in 10 hours flying with Jan that I learned in 900 hours as co-pilot heli-logging. The reason, Jan saw the value in passing along his years of experience rather than viewing my presence in the machine as an regulatory requirement.

SMS in my opinion is just a Band-Aid for corporate liability coverage. Nothing will replace the knowledge and wisdom that guys like Jan can pass along to newer pilots.

No pilot that I am aware of, knowingly sets out on a flight to get themselves killed. There is only so much that you can teach someone sitting in a classroom. We need more guys like Jan to teach the new kids on the block the do's and don'ts before they develop bad habits. How to identify lethal variables prior to getting up the creek without a paddle. These skills are what will lower the accident rates not SMS on its own.