Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Laser Beams In Pilots' Eyes

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many moons ago (yet again I know), I was required to wear specially designed (by the MOD at great expence to the tax payer) Laser reflective glasses for a military operation I was on...Can't say if they ever worked (maybe because I can still see means they did), but they sure looked like something you could now buy at Mountain Equipment Coop, and thats 15 years ago!! We were cool way ahead of our time!!!

..thats 15 years ago!! We were cool way ahead of our time!!!

You were, you were! :punk:

Anyone wear any protective eye gear beyond polarized lens? I know the problem doesn't seem to be as bad in Canada as in the U.S. (copycats). Just curious.

I don't know why they keep manufacturing laser pointers, either. Have been in many board/conference rooms and I've never seen a pointer used once! Pffft! :rolleyes: Whatever!

...Anyone wear any protective eye gear beyond polarized lens?

Actually, polarized lenses are incompatible with some avionics displays! B)

I don't know why they keep manufacturing laser pointers, either.

What else are the delusional conspiracy theorists going to point out the "black helicopters" in the night sky with? ;):lol:

I've heard through the grapevine from a pilot that some of these people are just amateur aviation enthusiasts using laser range finders on approaching planes because they're curious and don't realize what harm they can do/are doing.

Then again.... some of these people are just idiots endangering other peoples well being/lives just because they don't like the sound of aviation. :angry:

Makes me wonder... if they're that angered by loud sounds, do they throw cinder blocks in the middle of the road when motorcycles drive past?

Many moons ago (yet again I know), I was required to wear specially designed (by the MOD at great expence to the tax payer) Laser reflective glasses for a military operation I was on...Can't say if they ever worked (maybe because I can still see means they did), but they sure looked like something you could now buy at Mountain Equipment Coop, and thats 15 years ago!! We were cool way ahead of our time!!!

We used to be able to get laser protective visors fitted to our helmet, but due to the cost we were only allowed to deploy to certain areas with rayban style glasses.

These glasses were all we were allowed by the blanket stackers and when we tried them with a laser pointer ourselves, we found them to be totally shite as they didn't give allround coverage like a visor would!

Pluis the laser beam was still blinding through the lense, something we all reported upon our return.