Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Helicopter Down In N.Ont

XoNe

Condolences to all the family involved in the accident that happened this morning.

KAPUSKASING, Ont. - Three people are dead after a helicopter crashed in northern Ontario on Wednesday.

The dead included the pilot from North Bay, Ont., as well as passengers from Kapuskasing and Val Rita, Ont.

The crash happened about 25 km southeast of Kapuskasing.

The Bell 206L helicopter was owned by Sunrise Helicopters Inc., based out of North Bay.

The three fatalities resulting were reported by a search and rescue team member from nearby Timmins.

The Transportation Safety Board of Canada said it has has deployed a team to the site.

..KAPUSKASING, Ont. - Three people were killed Wednesday when their helicopter crashed in a remote area of northern Ontario.

There were no survivors in the crash about 25 kilometres south of Kapuskasing, said Chris Krepski, a spokesman with the Transportation Safety Board of Canada.

Two of the agency's investigators were on their way to the site, he said late Wednesday afternoon, adding they will be starting their work Thursday morning.

The helicopter pilot was identified as Greg Sawyer, 39, of North Bay, Ont.

Also killed were Dan Simis, 47, of Val Rita, Ont., and Chad McQuade, 37, of Kapuskasing, Ont. Both men worked for Tembec Inc., provincial police said. The forest products company has a regional office in Kapuskasing.

Provincial police from the James Bay detachment were called to the scene near Clear Lake at about 11:45 a.m. on Wednesday. Emergency services workers were also dispatched.

The Transportation Safety Board said the helicopter, a Bell 206L LongRanger, was owned by Sunrise Helicopters Inc.

A person who answered the phone at the company's office in North Bay, Ont., would not comment and referred questions to the Transportation Safety Board.

Provincial police planned to remain at the scene to assist the TSB investigators.

Very sad, my condolences to the families and friends of the pilot and passengers.

I trained in North Bay over a decade ago and know that the helicopter community is very tight. So I'm sure this will affect many, my thoughts are definitely with those of you that I still know from that community.

Very sad news. My thoughts are with the friends and family of all involved. sad.gif

- Darren