Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Helicopter Down In N.Ont

XoNe

Please note that for the most part, CADORS reports contain preliminary, unconfirmed data which can be subject to change.

Record #18Cadors Number: 2011O3324

Reporting Region: Ontario

Occurrence InformationOccurrence Type: Accident

Occurrence Date: 2011-11-02

Occurrence Time: 1530 Z

Day Or Night: day-time

Fatalities: 3

Injuries: 0

Canadian Aerodrome ID:

Aerodrome Name:

Occurrence Location: 15NM south of Kapuskasing

Province: Ontario

World Area: North America

Reported By: NAV CANADA

AOR Number: 139713-V2

TSB Class Of Investigation: 3

TSB Occurrence No: A11O0205

Aircraft InformationFlight #:

Aircraft Category: Helicopter

Country of Registration: CANADA

Make: BELL TEXTRON - CAN

Model: 206L

Year Built: 1976

Amateur Built: No

Engine Make: ALLISON

Engine Model: 250-C20R/4

Engine Type: Turbo shaft

Gear Type: Land

Phase of Flight: Unknown

Damage: Substantial

Owner: SUNRISE HELICOPTERS INC.

Operator: SUNRISE HELICOPTERS INC. (16168)

Operator Type: Commercial

Event InformationCollision with terrain

Detail InformationUser Name: Donaldson, John

Date: 2011-11-02

Further Action Required: No

O.P.I.: System Safety

Narrative: The Sunrise Helicopters Inc. Bell 206L helicopter (C-GDQH) was on a VFR flight from [origin and destination not reported]. NAV CANADA staff at the National Operations Centre (NOC) were advised by the Kapuskasing Fire Chief that the helicopter had crashed approximately 15NM south of Kapuskasing (49º09.5'N 082º28.1'W). Three (3) S.O.B. -- all deceased. T.S.B. Investigators are going to the scene.

User Name: Donaldson, John

Date: 2011-11-03

Narrative: UPDATE Supplemental information received from NAV CANADA A.O.R. 139709-V2: NAV CANADA staff at Montréal ACC were advised by the flight crew of a China Airlines Boeing 747-400 series aircraft of a loud and clear ELT signal heard between 49º03'N 082º14'W and 49º30'N 083º00'W at FL360. J.R.C.C. Trenton staff advised. __________ Signal ELT fort et claire entendu par un avion entre 49º03'N 082º14'W et 49º30'N 083º00'W a FL360. RCC trenton avisé.

Date: 2011-11-04

Narrative: UPDATE Supplemental information received from NAV CANADA A.O.R. #139713-V2: London F.I.C. staff advised that NAV CANADA services were not provided or involved.

Date: 2011-11-04

Further Action Required: Yes

Narrative: UPDATE Supplemental information received from T.S.B. Daily Notification [#A11O0205]: A Bell 206L helicopter (C-GDQH, operated by Sunrise Helicopters Inc.), crashed approximately 15NM south of the Kapuskasing Airport (CYYU), resulting in fatal injuries to the three (3) persons on board. The T.S.B. deployed two (2) investigators to the scene. The Class of Investigation was set as Class 3.

Please note that for the most part, CADORS reports contain preliminary, unconfirmed data which can be subject to change.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm curious why we are hearing blade fracture down here in the States and nothing up here on the Canada board, AirEvac lost a crew a few years ago and a little bird is telling me there was a run of blades made by a vendor for Bell that was suspect, coincidence? More to come.

Very sad, I spent a few years flying that area years ago and enjoyed if very much.

RIP fellow flyers.

Life can be short

SOB

• 2 months later...

The accident was back in novemeber helilog.

this is an open forum, and this thread is not a monument. The blade connection is a valid link between the initial post identifying the crash and where it has lead to now to a pretty substantial cost prohibitive airwortiness issue.

If you want to make a post honoring the dead, go to the appropriate subforum and do so.

• Like 6