Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

From Light'S To Medium'S

I would say do some research and look at companys that fly both. Not too large but your 6-10 helicopter fleets. Then you have an "in" with the intermediate work and somewhere to go up into the mediums. Also what kind of work the company does comes into play... Im thinking Quantum, Mustang, Yellowhead, Pacific Western, Delta...Or try Campbell, possibly Wildcat and even Alpine( though a long road). Doesn't Prism have a 205? I know zero about the eastern Canadian companys but Im sure there is a way for the right person. A good attitude goes a long way!

What is the best way to transition form light's (500's and Astars) to a medium 205.

For a guys with lot's of long-line time, mainly drills.

Hi I know both Lakelse Air and Quantum have Astar for drills and a 205 each.

Maybe a place to look in the spring??

Good Luck :)

Hi I know both Lakelse Air and Quantum have Astar for drills and a 205 each.

Maybe a place to look in the spring??

Good Luck :)

Lets be realistic here! Alright place to work and move drills on Astar's. However, pretty long road at either of those places to get into the mediums and Lakelse's 204 and Quantum's 205 are for sale.

If you want a guaranteed Bell 212 job then maybe contact Campbell Helicopters. I have never worked for them and I'm not saying they are the best company to work for, do so at your own risk.

I know people who have gone there for the stepping stone into mediums. You will likely have to commit to 2 summers for the endorsement. The pay isn't bad if it ends up being a good fire season and I know they would probably jump on the chance to get their hooks on a good long line guy for 2 summers.

Hope that helps. It's maybe not the prettiest solution, but it is a guaranteed medium seat.

hey Pup, does the company you currently work for have mediums and are going to give you the endorsement?

If this is the case, be aware that your first year or two in the medium market may actually be a cut in pay. Be prepared to be the guy on the spec machine and not the contract machines. See if your employer will allow to get back in the Astar or 500 for a tour or two in the summer to top up the T4. So don't go buying anything dumb this winter.