Cross Country

Wizard

Information is here and there about what constitutes as cross country in Canada. What do most use as the rule for XC? Flying from one place to another and using some sort of navigational skill and that place being at least some distance (more than 25nm from point of departure FAA) is roughly what I'm I can take from it all.

Information is here and there about what constitutes as cross country in Canada. What do most use as the rule for XC? Flying from one place to another and using some sort of navigational skill and that place being at least some distance (more than 25nm from point of departure FAA) is roughly what I'm I can take from it all.

You'll find your answer in the beginning of the 400 series (Definitions) of CAR's. The answer is MORE than 25 NM with a stop.

You'll find the requirements for each license in either CAR's 401 or 421 for the respective licens, (PPL, CPL and ATPL). Imy internet here is too slow to even attempt to look it up.

Cheers

H.

internet slow ??? must be frozen or user !! hahahaha funny guy u r winnie

quote name='Winnie' timestamp='1320679845' post='138639']

You'll find your answer in the beginning of the 400 series (Definitions) of CAR's. The answer is MORE than 25 NM with a stop.

You'll find the requirements for each license in either CAR's 401 or 421 for the respective licens, (PPL, CPL and ATPL). Imy internet here is too slow to even attempt to look it up.

Cheers

H.

negative, went through everything in CAR's 400. Nowhere does it state the definition of what is considered to be cross country time. It states what you need for certain licenses and ratings and what is required for flight training, but nothing in regard to what phase of flight is considered cross country.

The FAA has done the work though and stated (depending on license) what the definition of cross country is, ie more than 25nm from were you departed and subsequently made a landing.

So as far as I can gather, and after looking through multiple FW threads, there is no definition in the CAR's for cross country and really its left up to the individual pilot as to what they log as cross country. I did make a call and email to TC asking for the definition, no reply yet.

Idealy then when logging cross country in the remarks section of you logbook it should state that you flew from one place to another? How can TC legitimize cross country flight time on an ATPL candidate?

negative, went through everything in CAR's 400. Nowhere does it state the definition of what is considered to be cross country time. It states what you need for certain licenses and ratings and what is required for flight training, but nothing in regard to what phase of flight is considered cross country.

The FAA has done the work though and stated (depending on license) what the definition of cross country is, ie more than 25nm from were you departed and subsequently made a landing.

So as far as I can gather, and after looking through multiple FW threads, there is no definition in the CAR's for cross country and really its left up to the individual pilot as to what they log as cross country. I did make a call and email to TC asking for the definition, no reply yet.

Idealy then when logging cross country in the remarks section of you logbook it should state that you flew from one place to another? How can TC legitimize cross country flight time on an ATPL candidate?

Then try looking at CAR's 100, might be in there. Tansport considers it a cross country if you fly more than 25 miles up to meeting standards for all the licenses/ratings (you an also look at the IFR for instance, as it requires 50 hours of PIC XC.

After you meet the requirements you can log ANY flight as crosscountry, as it no longer matters...

IMHO I use 25 NM for logging xc, but at his time the point is moot.

@L'acadian: at Cape Parry, Google it, and you'll understand slow interwebs... like dial up, except slower...

TC states there is no definition to XC in the CARs. The 25nm stated is only in regards to where you need to file a flight plan or flight itinerary. They said nothing about it being related to what could define a XC flight.

They said that a XC flight is essentially where you takeoff from one place and land at another. Obviously common sense would say that flying for 5 min and landing isnt XC. Flying a 250nm flight, if you could manage the fuel, and land at the same place you left from then isn't really a XC flight, I imagine only because on you logbook and AC logbook it shows you left and came back to the same place with no other stops. Certainly weird. None the less, get 200 hours XC and then it really no longer matters.

I'm down here in the states and the way it works is that if you are logging XC time for a cert or rating then it is defined as landing at a point greater than 25 NM from the departure. However, they also have a general definition of XC which is basically just leaving where you look off and using some sort of navigation method ending up somewhere else. I have heard of people using this to their advantage when trying to beef up their logbooks, or in some cases when trying for their ATP. Once all their licenses and ratings have been achieved then they log any flight that's not in the pattern as XC. Now the thing is is that you have to have the right examiner who will interpret the regs in the same way, otherwise it doesn't count as the necessary XC.

Either way I'm sure it is probably a bit different up North....

Yeah it's terribly confusing. Essentially the definition I got from TC is more In regards to the FW side of things going from 1 airport to another. The same can be derived for helicopters just that we don't land at airports as frequently and as long as you theoretically use navigation to fly to a spot and land you have flow XC. A TC said themselves "there is no definition to XC in the CAR's