Fdc Filter Tracking

Lunchbox

I'm dealing with A-Stars here, but I guess any aircraft with an inlet barrier filter system would be similar.

We have spare filters with our aircraft. When things get busy and the air is dirty (especially on fires), filters can get swapped out quite frequently, like every 30-40 hours. As the filters have a life limit, these frequent changes can be hard to keep up with tracking wise. Multiply for a large fleet of aircraft, and the tech records lady starts pulling her hair out trying to keep up.

Looking for ideas on what some of you out there are doing to keep better/more efficient tracking of frequent filter changes.

Have you created a component history card for the filters where you can record the cleaning/maintenance functions? It could then be used to track the number of cleaning cycles and have a retirement life based on cleanings/hours. Just a thought.

If you have access to the Bell Tech Pubs web site, you can download a blank history card that you could use, even if it is for an Astar.

I don't think that is the issue. We run into the same thing with our fleet of AStars too. The filters bounce around from machine to machine during sandy and busy times and playing musical CHRs is a nightmare for the tech records.

We don't have any system that I would consider "great" either so I am all ears to ideas.

whatever system you use, it'll only work if the guys in the field and tech records work together.

The CHR's will work as thats what they are designed to do, although you're right that the paperwork won't always follow, or will lag behind, or get forgotton often enough to be a hassle.

Not sure what the cycles are on these things and if they vary greatly from manufacturer, is it just washing cycles or is it hours based?

perhaps a marking system on the filter itself would be more suited if its cycles only.

Every time it's cleaned you engrave or scribe an X, or use a paint mark, and when it meets the cumulated limit specified it gets tossed.

If it's hours based, I don't think you have other choice but to go with a CHR type system.

Just consider yourself lucky you've got a spare, some operators don't see it as a required item and want you to clean and oil the things overnight in the field, which is a p.i.t.a. because they usually take 24hrs to dry completely. After working with both afs and fdc on Astars, I've found that the AFS is the better system even though it changes the cowling profile. The AFS gets a scribe mark after each cleaning and gets tossed after a certain number. The 100hr cycle on the FDC is a little excessive for normal ops, especially in the winter. Short of permanently marking the filter with all the data, the good ole CHR would be your best bet.

Cheers

Appreciate the comments. At the very least, I feel better knowing we're not the only ones having trouble with this issue!

We have CHRs for individual filters. A computer system at head office spits out paper CHRs for the field. By the time head office gets the info, prints out a CHR, and sends it to the field, there could be 3 or 4 filter changes in the meantime.

I'm thinking of cutting out the Filter paper CHRs, as that's the weakest link. We can track the rest from head office in the computer, and maybe send out updated CHRs once or twice a year just to keep the field AMEs honest. The computer system will flag any filters close to the life limit. It's just a matter of getting the field AMEs to send in the info for filter changes in a timely manner!

Good Day,

I am the Tech. Rep. for FDC/aerofilter. It can be a challenge in the field keeping track of the element times especially if you are playing musical elements on multiple aircraft. One of the posters is absolutely correct that the field technicians and the records people have to work together on the tracking to insure correct times. Each element should have a component card being each element is serialized on the data tag. If anybody wants an official FDC/aerofilter, shoot me an e-mail @ support@fdcaerofilter.com and I will get it to you. As for the elements themselves, we have increased the service life limit for the AS350 series & EC130B4 from 1500 hrs. to 4500 hrs. Also the service interval has changed as well from 100 hr. intervals to 300 hr./12 mo./As Needed. Unlike Brand X which is limited to 15 cleanings, our elements have unlimited cleanings... this can amount to a lot of replacement elements if they are being cleaned @ 30 - 40 hr. intervals.