Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Jet-B In A Diesel?

what about Furnace oil in a 6.0 Powerstroke? I got rid of the oil furnace at my place and have half a tank of the stuff left..... Anyone tried this?

Furnace oil is dyed diesel. Injectors for a dodge cost 1400 each from the dealer and reconditioned ones cost 500 each as of last week anyway that's a lot of cash to run jet fuel

Ran my old faithful VW diesel on Jet A1 for three years so far without a glitch. I add 1 quart of ATF per tank. Starts a little better in the cold and seems to smoke a little less.

I would not run it without any oil or additive because jet fuel is way too ''dry'' for a diesel injection system. The injection pump and the injectors need the lubrication provided by the diesel fuel so adding any kind of oil to jet fuel is a must. I found that ATF was cheapest and a very good detergent too.

It's illegal in my area to run furnace oil (dyed diesel) in a road vehicle. I'm not sure how I could convince an inspector that the red stuff in my fuel tank is not furnace oil!!

We ran a lot of Jet A1 with anti ice in one of our ford diesels without adding any kind of additive or ATF. It did not sound very good, and lacked power. I personally wouldn't run the stuff, these trucks cost too much to be trying to save a few dollars on fuel.

49merc

That makes sense. It would certainly lack power if the rings were worn as badly as expected.

We ran a lot of Jet A1 with anti ice in one of our ford diesels without adding any kind of additive or ATF. It did not sound very good, and lacked power. I personally wouldn't run the stuff, these trucks cost too much to be trying to save a few dollars on fuel.

49merc

The problem was you were running Ford diesels, at least in regards to the power issues. A large segment of the performance diesel crowd runs Jet-A during competition. A1 (vs A) does not have any noticeable difference in performance, from what I've seen.

Injection pumps are the primary candidate to be killed by jet fuel. Even a lot of older diesels should be running additive to prevent injection pump damage, since ULSD is severely lacking in lubricity compared to the old stuff. Some injectors also will not like Jet A, but that's pretty rare.

It's illegal in my area to run furnace oil (dyed diesel) in a road vehicle. I'm not sure how I could convince an inspector that the red stuff in my fuel tank is not furnace oil!!

It's illegal anywhere that there is a road tax included in the sale of motor vehicle fuels. Likewise, running jet fuel is illegal in most places since it does not have this tax either. And if you really want to stretch things, guys who are running fryer oil are breaking the law too.

If your tank gets dipped by a CVSE or similar official and they find dyed diesel, heating oil, jet fuel, etc in your tank they will fine you, and it is NOT CHEAP. Jet fuel is hard to tell though, since it's not dyed, I think they would assume you were just running a really good batch of diesel :blink:

That makes sense. It would certainly lack power if the rings were worn as badly as expected.

The lack of lubricity in the fuel is unlikely to affect the internals of a diesel engine. Most diesels are direct injection, and the fuel never sees the cylinder walls. Likewise, it doesn't matter, as the oil system is for lubrication; hence the multitude of rings on a piston, which carefully control the amount of oil that is left on the cylinder wall.

However, an injection pump that is badly worn can result in a noticeable loss of power. It will be on its way out shortly after that; it's probably only going to be apparent for a few thousand Ks before the truck will no longer start.

• 7 years later...

Don't use ATF for an additive contary to what a lot of old timers will say. One time they use to say it was good for cleaning injectors. It has friction modifiers in it and is designed not to burn. Basic non detergent 2 stroke oil is one of  your cheapest and best lube options from the tests I've read in my research. Ive burned lots of Jet A with 2 stroke oil trouble free in a common rail cummins. Also use to add some power service as well to boost the cetane #'s as jet fuel is low in cetane.One thing to think about jet fuel though and new diesels with emission systems like exhaust filters is jet fuel contains a lot of sulphur that would clog emissions crap.   I wouldn't run Jet B in my truck though to get back to the original question. 

• 2 weeks later...