Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

I Was Wondering Why This Is So

MedMan

"I don't quite see it. The system doesn't seem to be falling apart. When the need is great enough, the people will put their foot down. It's basic human behaviour, and happens in any social, economic, or political context. The will of the people can change the world. If nothing happens, then that means the collective will of the people just isn't quite there in order to effect change."

PROactive vs. REactive

I guess it's better to wait for everything to fall apart before anyone tries to make improvements?

What about Carbon emmissions? There is an overwhealming world wide drive to reduce C02 emmissions to prevent what we are being told is a world hanging on the edge of disatser. Yet dispite the efforts of millions around the world Global C02 emmissions continue to rise at an alarming rate.

Unfortunately there are some things in the face of econimic gain that cannot be stopped as easlily as one may think through " people power"

Unfortunately and without sounding like a facist I think we as people overestimate the great power of democracy. Around the world right now in the glooming distaster and the crumbling of the Eurozone both Italy, Spain and Greece have appointed technocrats to head government these are decisions taken by intelligent men and women who understand that putting somebody in charge based on popularity or democratically does not qualify them to fix the problem.

May cooler heads prevail!Im for proactive vs reactive!

p5

What about Carbon emmissions? There is an overwhealming world wide drive to reduce C02 emmissions to prevent what we are being told is a world hanging on the edge of disatser. Yet dispite the efforts of millions around the world Global C02 emmissions continue to rise at an alarming rate.

p5

Don't you work in the offshore oil exploration business?

• Like 1

nobody flying a an aircraft that burns XX gallons per hour of fuel can ever say they are reducing their carbon footprint.

And any other joe blow who thinks driving a prius or any other hybrid vehicle is offsetting anything in regards to the carbon emissions in great amounts is simply delusional.

I think though hybrid you have misread what P5 was saying. just saying.

• Like 2

Yet dispite the efforts of millions around the world Global C02 emmissions continue to rise at an alarming rate.

How much of an effort are these millions of people REALLY making? Things like this start small, but I haven't yet seen a fundamental change in the way we live our lives and consume energy.

Unfortunately and without sounding like a facist I think we as people overestimate the great power of democracy. Around the world right now in the looming distaster and the crumbling of the Eurozone both Italy, Spain and Greece have appointed technocrats to head government these are decisions taken by intelligent men and women who understand that putting somebody in charge based on popularity or democratically does not qualify them to fix the problem.

True, but any changes brought about by these technocrats will only be as effective if the general public are willing to embrace them. If the people don't trust them and ignore the changes, nothing will happen. We have also recently seen that entrenched dictatorships like Libya, Egypt, Tunisia (with Syria, Bahrain, Yemen and others on the way) can be relatively quickly and easily toppled if enough of the people really want to bring about change.

Ultimately, nothing happens without the approval or acceptance of the people in one form or another. Even Hitler was elected, and the Soviets initiated a popular revolution.

Im for proactive vs reactive!

As am I. It's just often difficult to get other people to follow and agree to one's proactivity...

• Like 1

How much of an effort are these millions of people REALLY making? Things like this start small, but I haven't yet seen a fundamental change in the way we live our lives and consume energy.

True, but any changes brought about by these technocrats will only be as effective if the general public are willing to embrace them. If the people don't trust them and ignore the changes, nothing will happen. We have also recently seen that entrenched dictatorships like Libya, Egypt, Tunisia (with Syria, Bahrain, Yemen and others on the way) can be relatively quickly and easily toppled if enough of the people really want to bring about change.

Ultimately, nothing happens without the approval or acceptance of the people in one form or another. Even Hitler was elected, and the Soviets initiated a popular revolution.

As am I. It's just often difficult to get other people to follow and agree to one's proactivity...

OK

P5