Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Ppl(H) Hours In Commercial World

johnson4

Hi all,

I've been lurking around this forum for quite a while,

Basically, I want to fly helicopters and want to work as a commercial pilot...eventually.

My other goals and family higher up right now and keep me from jump right into the industry, such as it is.

If I start with a ppl in the near future and fly as I can, how will those accumulated hour be viewed when I get down the road looking for my first paid gig? Useless time making laps or another hour closer to keeping a insurance company happy?

Thanks for your input

Hi all,

I've been lurking around this forum for quite a while,

Basically, I want to fly helicopters and want to work as a commercial pilot...eventually.

My other goals and family higher up right now and keep me from jump right into the industry, such as it is.

If I start with a ppl in the near future and fly as I can, how will those accumulated hour be viewed when I get down the road looking for my first paid gig? Useless time making laps or another hour closer to keeping a insurance company happy?

Thanks for your input

My 2¢...

If you want to work as a pilot, you'll need a commercial license. There are heaps of us low timers out there looking for work with a CPL and a couple hundred hours, so if you're out there looking for employment with a PPL(H) and some time flying with your PPL, your chances are, well, next to nil as you still have a private license.

I'm certain your 40-ish hours of PPL training flight time counts against the 100 hours of a CPL program, but you'll still need to cover the rest of the commercial flight training curriculum, and it also means you'll need to write another Transport Canada exam and go through another flight test.

Also, consider that there is no GST/PST on commercial training, and come income tax time your tuition can be used as a tax credit/deduction (can't remember the right term, but it means a great tax return!). By the time you factor all that in, CPL training isn't much more expensive than a PPL, you get more training, plus you're then legally able be hired as a commercial pilot.

Hope this helps,

Darren

As Daz said, you cannot fly for hire unless you hold a CPL. in terms of what you do for flying after your PPL is up to you, ultimately you will eventually get your CPL and you go through the process of landing your first job.

The PPL should be thought of as something you get to fly for fun, the CPL let's you have fun and get paid for it!

Oh ya I intend on holding a cpl before looking for a job, I was more so curious about the validity of flying hours accumulated before getting a cpl.... I had totally forgotten about the tax return on a cpl, pretty valuable in fort mcmurray

Almost all flying can be classified as experience, but every prospective employer will be likely to grade its value themselves, and don't rely on it counting for much unless, of course, you get a lot of 'real' private flying experience, which doesn't sound like being in your plans. Also, unless you're buying a helicopter to fly privately, you'll have difficulty finding anything to fly and the money that might be spent there would be much better spent on your commercial licence.

Before you proceed, I'd strongly recommend that you talk with as many gray-haired helicopter pilots as you can in order to have as realistic a perspective as possible before taking what is really a giant leap.

Whatever you do, good luck, and be safe.

• Like 2