Verrrrrry Interesting

gwk

watching all these shows on TV with universities playing around with robotic vehicles running a course with GPS technology, performing tasks with preprogrammed values etc, it's not surprising the military with bigger budgets and smarter people have gone this route.

I don't believe though that they have a nerdy kid sitting in a simulator playing Call of Duty on the big screen. I believe it's more of a mission loaded into the computer and off it goes autonomously. At best, it's progress is monitored by a nerd with a 32" flatscreen and a self destruct button if it all goes for the sh*ts.

I can't imagine what one of these costs , nor can imagine the big picture costs with training pilots over their career either.

Ah, self destruct button,,,,too many tv shows there ss,,,

Oh and monkeys wont work to fly,,,they get scared and close their eyes,,,so would need an engineer to sit there to make sure the monkey doesn't get too scared....so I guess the moral of the story is one pilot equals a monkey plus an ame, so is lighter just to go with the pilot only solution....meeerry crippons! :)

This unmanned ship is a project of Lockheed Martin.

Kaman were the builders of the original helicopter, and now help with the project.

Most of the missions are autonomous (pre-programmed), but the mission can be altered while enroute.

The helicopter can also be flown remotely (using a Logitech PS3 controller !!)

The (human) pilot's controls and seat are still onboard and functional.

Here is a link to Lockheed Martin, with some good videos of testing/approvals.

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/products/K-MAX/

P.S. There were 38 K-max built.

1 was for ground testing only (s/n 3)

24 remain in service, (including Lockheed's)

13 have been written-off in crashes.

If the Navy/Marines go ahead with this plan (highly likely considering the growth of the UAV sector), then Kaman will have to start production of the K-max again.

Quoting 'OT':

There were 38 K-max built.

1 was for ground testing only (s/n 3)

24 remain in service, (including Lockheed's)

13 have been written-off in crashes.

Unquote

Man, that's fully a third of the airframes pranged. Not a stirling recommendation for those manning them but maybe a great reason for them to be operated unmanned?

• Like 1

doesn't settle out,finds the wind all by itself,lifts more than its own weight all day long,kicks *** in the heat,very little internal cargo,excellent fuel burn, most comfortable seat ever,you can actually see out of it,autorotates for ever,good strong Airframe,works awesome in high wind such as the fraser canyon, unlike the american big ships it will lift a full bucket of water way up there,not fast like a 214 but very quick with shorter circuits,small crew 1 pilot 1 engineer,

the majority of the wrecks can be attributed to the FCU on that **** -17. Bob Holt always was mad that they did not put a modern engine in the airframe. Still the Best Heli lifter that I have ever flown. 8000 hrs on type.

• Like 1