Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Verrrrrry Interesting

gwk

Once ran into an old HH43 Huskie pilot who loved Kamans...having a good-natured jab at me at the time, he swore that the lateral tandem was the proper way to intermesh two rotors. I've never seen a K-Max in person, but if it was anything like the Huskie, it's got to be a solid, no-nonsense machine. Freddie, have you ever seen a Huskie or spoken to those who have flown one?

Regards

AV8

Thats what we did our conversion on very cool helicopter. I beleave that the H43 was the first turbine helicopter.

Freddie, I think you're right...the UH-1 also flew with the Lycoming T-53 in 1956, but I think the H-43 turbine equipped variant flew in early-'56, so I think they were a slight bit ahead of Bell being the first turbine chopper.

Cheers

AV8

doesn't settle out,finds the wind all by itself,lifts more than its own weight all day long,kicks *** in the heat,very little internal cargo,excellent fuel burn, most comfortable seat ever,you can actually see out of it,autorotates for ever,good strong Airframe,works awesome in high wind such as the fraser canyon, unlike the american big ships it will lift a full bucket of water way up there,not fast like a 214 but very quick with shorter circuits,small crew 1 pilot 1 engineer,

the majority of the wrecks can be attributed to the FCU on that **** -17. Bob Holt always was mad that they did not put a modern engine in the airframe. Still the Best Heli lifter that I have ever flown. 8000 hrs on type.

And we know what happened when Bob got mad!!

I worked with a fellow in late 1970's named Art Plunkett that said he worked for Kaman as a test pilot. Anyone heard where Art ended up. He had some interesting Huskie stories, radial engine model the most interesting one!