Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Helicopter Crash In Florida

I was reading the news about a helicopter crash in Florida and I came upon this article;

Washington Post

Note the comments by Gary Robb, a Kansas City aviation attorney specializing in helicopter safety, regarding the Bell 206B.

The small, lightweight craft has low weight and speed capabilities and is primarily used by traffic reporters or police departments, Robb said.

“It’s not usually used in donor flights,” he said.

“If you’re on a mission where time is sensitive, why use an engine that is low performance?” Robb said, adding that the helicopter has a cramped cabin.

The Bell 206 usually has an older engine no longer installed in new models, Robb said.

“We’ve seen a number of instances where that engine simply failed,” Robb said.

Read his profile here:

Gary Robb

Read about his book here:

Helicopter Crash Litigation

Wow.

Somebody help me out. I seem to remember a few (many?) years ago there were some stats out saying the Bell 206 was the safest single engine aircraft available mile per mile, passenger mile per mile, something of that nature? Strike a 'Bell' with anybody else? Regardless, imho that good old JetBox has enough accolades and success stories backing it up to negate what Mr. Robb has to say about it. If those stats are still out there/valid I would bet money Mr. Robb would put them on ignore.

This brings up another topic that has been touched on here before. As an AME or pilot, make sure your actions are based on how would I explain them in a court of law?

Cheers, all the best in the New Year. Let's keep it safe boys and girls.

Quote from his website...

As a result, the helicopter "can lose power in one-tenth of second, without warning, and it drops like an anvil -- it takes just 15 seconds to fall to the earth if the helicopter is at a typical cruising altitude when the failure occurs."

Drops like an anvil? A little sensational methinks.

Quote from his website...

As a result, the helicopter "can lose power in one-tenth of second, without warning, and it drops like an anvil -- it takes just 15 seconds to fall to the earth if the helicopter is at a typical cruising altitude when the failure occurs."

Drops like an anvil? A little sensational methinks.

That's such an ignorant arguement, you can say the same for most helicopters when an engine failure occurs. Typical low life lawyer............. not all of them, don't want to over generalize. :)

not that I agree with the guy or anything, but he's running a business and praying on the ignorance of others.

what better way to do it than downplay the qualities and point fingers. If he doesn't stretch the truth he doesn't win cases and he doesn't get paid.

But if he continues to stretch the truth like that, the insurance companies will just require more expensive craft with more experienced crew on progressively simpler jobs.

oh wait.

But if he continues to stretch the truth like that, the insurance companies will just require more expensive craft with more experienced crew on progressively simpler jobs.

oh wait.

Well as far as I am concerned the Bell 206 has a way more stable and really great auto-rotational qualities like its bigger brother the 204-05-12. If I had a choice to have an engine failure in any helicopter it would be in an older semi ridgid teetering set up. Lots of time and high heavy inertia. :up: Very forgiving compared to todays lighter multi-bladed composite jobbies!

The 206 and its variants are still king when it comes to "oh shiit!"

p5

• Like 1

Well as far as I am concerned the Bell 206 has a way more stable and really great auto-rotational qualities like its bigger brother the 204-05-12. If I had a choice to have an engine failure in any helicopter it would be in an older semi ridgid teetering set up. Lots of time and high heavy inertia. :up: Very forgiving compared to todays lighter multi-bladed composite jobbies!

The 206 and its variants are still king when it comes to "oh shiit!"

p5