Safety Management Systems

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sissyphus and all the boys and girls out there that expect Transport Canada to make sure we all have our i's dotted and t's crossed, you can forget about it!

T.C. is slowly transfering more responsibilties to the operators simply to remove themselves from as much exposure from liability as possible.

Live with it!

Well, I agree with a few points you have risen Sysyphus, concerning the intimidation that can take place on the job. A good pilot learns that if the customer pushes "Call the Chief Pilot" .If the CP doesn't back you go work somewhere else. There are however those instances where the client will be a bigger expert than you, with a claimed gazillion hours and cliam that he or she was flying before you where born. These types sys have a need to demonstrate that they are the boss, my advice is don't let it ruffle your feathers, and don't secum to the ego trip. Let the guy think he is the boss avoid conflict, when he pushes don't push back. These type of clients are the ones you have to be more diplomatic with , and they are normally vocal experts due to some form of inferiority complex, and the type to pull out the backdoor knife. What can I say, they exist. If the guy gets you fired and makes stuff up, cause you where not following his rules and flying in crappy wheather and the CP doesn't back you, Once your outta there find the guy and drill him in the head. You can be sure that you will be doing the next guy a big favour and helping reform the great number of ladderclimbing, tattletailing weasles.

I disagree with you about the statement that obsequious has anything to do with going for a quick turnaround to check on visibility. Anybody who has worked on the Coast in the everyday marginal coastal weather will know of what I speak. Some times it's just too hard to see the vis from the ground. There have been some days for me that things looked great from the ground but 500 ft up I was glad I turned around. Judgement on when and when not to fly is something that can't be second-guessed, and either you are convinced its safe or not. Second-guessing any decision is the worst thing that one can do.

"I can't believe I get paid to fly this thing" is really in my opinion a dumb thing to say, when you consider the inherent danger involved no matter the view or where you may be. It's a dangerous job, period. The sooner you get your mind around how dangerous it is the safer a pilot you become. I've lost allot of friends, and the numbers do not lie. If I am to manage the risk the biggest obstacle for me or anyone is to be firm on any decision, and take precautions to assure I limit the risk. We should be paid more, for the risk we take, there are bills to pay and dammit if one day I should go the way of the dodo, The risks should have been worth it.

I will not disagree with any system or measures that seek to improve safety, even if they are redundant-

PS

;)

Peeshooter,

I promised myself that I wouldn't respond to your sometimes antagonistic comments but (sorry Kyle), are you saying I'm dumb because I enjoy my job and I get a real kick out of it? You are too narrow minded for your own good. I would love to meet you and all of your alter ego's one day. :down:

Peeshooter ------as I stated to my esteemed life insurance broker "No sir, my job is not as dangerous as a flying trapeze artist with Barnum and Bailey's. Do not tell me that your profession has done their due diliegence completely and checked on other trades and professions thorughly to see the danger quotients there also". Try long-haul trucking, construction trades, high-rise window cleaning, taxi-driving with the idiots on the roads, deck-hand on a Great Lakes freighter...for a short list of examples and for starters. Any idiot can check out the accident and death rates on those jobs and then one sees we're well down the list.....yet they pay less than we do for personal insurance. Also check-out the last stats on those Canadians that have EVER set foot in any type of flying conveyance of any kind....the percentage that haven't will blow you away and enter the realm of the unbelievable.....because even we believe that the vast, vast majority have. These same people we have to deal with each day at a Bank for a loan, insurance for ourselves and even a place like EI. We're not surrounded by stupid people...we're surrounded by ignorant people that don't understand the nature of our job, think a base salary for ALL pilots starts at $100,00.yr and think we walk on water or have some sort of superhuman abilities. Tell that 'crap' to my wife.

Even though you are a member of our "community" Peeshooter, you are promoting that same ignorance with YOUR OPINION of how dangerous YOU believe our job is. Well, here's MY OPINION also.....to counter yours......CHECKMATE! I got a **** of a lot better chance of being killed while driving between my hangar and motel or airport and home than flying all summer....because I work with "PROS" and the maintenance on my a/c is done by "PROS" and it gets thorughly DI'd each morning.....AND in the majority of cases I work for "PROS' (notice I didn't say ALL).

Gold Member --------it's too cold for you to fly-----go have a large coffee. Wait until it warms up and then you can meet Peeshooter wearing shorts. It's too cold to get angry...save that energy for sex tonite. :P

Beltdrive ------ ya, that'll do for starters. :D

Chuck -----same for sex man.......I know, you got the same problem there too, eh? :lol: