Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

High,low,fast,slow

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wheels?!, Stop first then land. None of this landing at warp 2 and tring to get the whole thing stopped before the end of terra-flat!

My vote for high gear, used both but have the option with this company and use high. Though harder to land for shutdown in snow the trade is WHEN skiers do something stupid there is a little extra clearance for mama over their head. Also I find I can toe on slightly steeper ground than low but thats a pretty fine line.

The other issue is being vertically challenged like the Sask. engineer, low gear puts me on my knees to dung out the back seat at the end of the day. Too hard on the back, high is the way.

Ah, wheels! Is there anyne else around that flew the old S51's. With full seats and fuel in the summer, you had to get it rolling forward, then up on the right main and nosewheel, and finally just the nosewheel, and trundle across the ground until you hit translation and could fly her off. :mellow: Landings were easier with the two big wheels and oleos at the rear. :lol:

The S58, on the other hand, with a tailwheel and mains well forward rarely had a comparable power problem, although a load of firefighters in the summer could occasionally test your mettle. Rarely needed a running T/O, though. B)

If I got control of the wheels and what they are doing, then fine.....bring'em on. Otherwise "NO!!". I learned to fly helicopters on a g.d. Hillier with castoring bloody whells. Try making a "run-on" landing when she goes wherever she decides to go when she got weight on her and that might include 360's down the tarmac. A laughing IP saying "and dosie-do" didn't help the "pucker-factor" any either. To this day. I lower the collective real slowly when I touch terre firma. :down:

No matter what I fly, I still gotta be conscious of my T/R and no matter how high I am, I still have to conscious of some idiot trying to "track" my T/R with their stupid head. Low gear just makes me look a bit harder for a landing spot and more conscious of the M/R blade clearance. It's not a big deal to me either way, but I appreciate the feelings of others and respect that.

Twinstar-------the later Hillers were built like a bloddy tank and would sure take a beating, but the first ones...........and them owned by an Army with a budget that didn't' have an end. They made up for that "crap" when they latched onto the UH series though.......typical military.

Twinstar-------don't even "go there". **** it was like flying grandmothers bed. Understand also, that you started out ab initio with only having control of the rudder peddles and the IP everything else; then only the cyclic and then just the collective, UNTIL you got them ALL ******. The later Hillers were built like a bloody tank and would sure take a beating, but the first ones...........and them owned by an Army with a budget that didn't' have an end. They made up for that "crap" when they latched onto the UH series though.......Thank God!