Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Work Permit Changes

Breaking news this good Monday morning.

Well I have some rather encouraging news from the Minister of HRDC's office after the matter was put to special committee in Ottawa on that matter of issuing work permits to foreigners when there are Canadians available for work.

After painstaking work over the last few months to assure the ministers office that HAC had no interests other than to serve its membership who provides "industry information or statistics that support permits or data that HRDC uses to make decisions will be stopped and the policy will be re-examined." In a nut shell the special committee (that is incidentally not controlled any more by the liberals as they are a minority government) Is in the short term forcefully recommending there will be an extended period of up to a year for both working holiday and regular permits, to assure that there are no Canadians available or that can be retrained for postings. I am extremely happy.

What it will mean is that more 100-hrs guys are going to get that break faster and previously and companies that won't hire " those that are not worth hiring" will be there only source.

It has cost me hundreds of dollars and numerous hours of work to get this matter to committee and finally the issue is being dealt with.

So with any hope there will be a vast improvement soon for those Canadians seeking employment, it also has reassured my faith a great deal in how our government works.

I ll also tell you that the feds where shocked at the type of self serving behavior of HAC, and where alarmed at the total lack of any form of association that could have dealt with this issue a long time ago.

So all is fair in love and war, and good luck to those guys looking for that big break, after all as Canadians we deserve and should expect that our needs and the the policy the governs the decisions of the Foreign WP unit works to our benefit and not the self serving interest of the Corporate bottom line.

Hurray for me! a Good for all hard working Canadians.

I expect one or two months before we start seeing results.

PS

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Expect longer, Johnboy. Industry is the heartblood of this and most nations, and when industry slows down because of over-regulation and daydreaming bureaucracy, the powers that be will soon rectify that deceleration. While I'm all for competent, qualified Canadians working at the expense of immigrant labor, I cannot support them being thrust into roles beyond their capabilities just to satisfy the misguided zealots of protectionism.

Recent events aside, your own experience has surely shown you that the vast majority of helicopter flying jobs in Canada require much more than one to three hundred hours of exposure to harsh operating conditions and requirements. Much like the field of medicine, we spend far too much time treating symptoms instead of causes. As you've said elsewhere, there's a terrible need for more tangible safety measures. In my belief, there's at least as great a need for higher training and experience standards for instructor ratings and commercial licences.

Well downwash,

The time it takes is what it takes but you can be sure that I am in it for the long haul and todays news is extremely promissing not just for me but in making it alot more diffuclt to get permits approved. There are many 1000, 2000, 3000 hour pilots who fall under the " not worth Hiring definition " only because of discrimiation and overzelous operators with silly littel personality preferences"who couldn't be bothered hiring them simply cause they won't fit the label"

Well I'l tell you that this is insulting as and as long as any CANADIAN experienced pilot does his job and is safe he is worth employing. I have a big list of guys that are out of work right now while foriengers are working, and it just won't stick. The operators instead of hiring this group take the easy way out and hire forigners who will compromise on wages working conditions, and ahappily leave after the season is over and provide the operators with a chaep employment solution and will do any pathetic thing to have a job. Well no more I say.

I am Canadian I am experienced and there is no reason that I am not employable.

Its a complete Crock and absolute rubish that there are no experience Canadian drivers avialable.

You are entitled to you opinion, but as long as I have been Canadian it's Canadians first.

and you can bet your bacon to eggs that I will continue to lobby the government to make the nessesary changes so that employers stick to the rules and hire Canadians first.

Cheers

PS

"In my belief, there's at least as great a need for higher training and experience standards for instructor ratings and commercial licences."

maybe for the licences but as far as the instructors are concerned i think canada has a pretty good batch. i can't say that i have heard of too many "low" time instructors (say under 5000hrs) unlike in the US where an instructor may only have 250 or so hours............

"I have a big list of guys that are out of work right now" really? how many have more than say 1000hours? just curious................

There are 9 on the current list at 1000+-150 and thats just for western Canada, there are 6 with over 2500, and 2 with over 5000 hrs. And this is only those guys that were brave enough to share the info with me. I have been asked to keep it in complete confidentiality and promissed only to use the names to report to HRDC. I don't blame them they are probably petrified of being BB. I however am not.

There are currently 34 active work permits in Western Canada.

You should also know that as recently as last week I was refused work at 3 separate companies all stated quite clearly that the Ausies coming back would get get preference. The matter and the names of the operators where reported to the FWPU of HRDC for Western Canada immediately.

So I am on the matter with vigour.

Anybody interested in forwarding thier CV is more than welcome and you may rest assured that it will be kept in absolute confentaility apart from providing the info to HRDC. PM is the prefered method.

I agree with you 412 on the experienced instructor matter, I hear the BC heli has superb and very experienced instructors.

During my time in this business, it has taken more than just being Canadian and having enough time total or on type to succeed in this business at any position......and none of it involved "kissing anyone's heinie". So if anyone is thinking that only those two aforementioned assets will "do the job" in gaining or keeping employment in this industry.......good luck......you'll need lots.

There are 9 on the current list  at 1000+-150 and thats  just for western Canada, there are 6 with over 2500, and 2 with over 5000 hrs.  And this is only those guys that were brave enough to share the info with me. I have been asked to keep it in complete confidentiality and promissed only to use the names to report to HRDC. I don't blame them they are probably petrified of being BB. I however am not.

There are currently 34 active work permits in Western Canada.

You should also know that as recently as last week I was refused work at 3 separate companies all stated quite clearly that the Ausies coming back would get get preference. The matter and the names of the operators where reported to the FWPU of HRDC for Western Canada immediately.

So I am on the matter with vigour.

Anybody interested in forwarding thier CV is more than welcome and you may rest assured that it will be kept in absolute confidentaility apart from providing the info to HRDC. PM is the prefered method.

I agree with you 412 on the experienced instructor matter, I hear the BC heli has superb and very experienced instructors.

Cap ,

Here we go again with the dicriminatory beliefs, that are not only in violation of the charter of RF section( 3) and (6).... I will say it again for those who are thick and do not read english. ALL PERSONS including pilots with experience who can do thier job safely and smile at customers are employable.

Everybody is equal, and no preference should be given based on personality. This is not only the law, its the truth.

You are entitled to you opinion howvere, despite the fact that its outdated, which of course is not your fault.

Cheers.

PS

Dear Peeshooter,

Well where do I begin. Your broad generalisation of all foreign pilots kind of offends me. I think you need to do a little thinking before you speak. First of all if no one is hiring you then I think the problem may be you and not the system. I know of at least three companies that would snap up experienced guys right now. Foriegn or Canadian. I know of one company in particular that was so short of pilots in the spring they were advertising in every major news paper across the country. Not just the trade journals. So once you have met all of the Canadian obligations why not go abroard. Dont think for a moment that we compromise on wages or working conditions, we just come from a different background where we get in and have a go instead of sitting at home and whining about how hard done by we are. I cant believe that you can sit there and think that pilots from abroard are keeping you out of a job. Lets not forget your fellow countryman that are working in Australia at the moment. I do belive Tasman has secured a contract in Melbourne with Canadian crew. Mcdermott has Canadaian engineers and pilots. You dont hear anyone down there complaining of Canadians taking contracts and jobs. To be honest their experience and knowledge is welcomed and embraced. I have been to coutless jobs in Canada where pilots have asked me hoe they can get to Australia for some work and I am glad to help them along.

I can even give you some names if you think it might help your cause. Our industry is a broad and trully international one so be sure to think before you start ranting. If ever a contract comes for you to work abroard I am sure you will step aside and let the local boys take over, right? I didnt think so. Good luck in the job hunting. Hey give Wildcat a call I am sure their Canadian/Kiwi chief pilot would love to hear from you.

In addition CAP, If you are interested in starting a CULT, I would suggest that there are other places to do so. The Helicopter industry is no such place for cliquee cult type standards.

EVERYBODY IS EQUAL..AND HAS THE RIGHT TO WORK IN CANADA IF THEY ARE CANADIAN. ( PERIOD).