Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Work Permit Changes

Yeah, I got a logbook full of trips in Canadian registered aircraft and they won't believe I was over there, not even with a passport!

Downwash - yeah, Im back in the ol' country for a while - got a job with a title looking after powerlines, and flying the jetbox in the Scottish mountains in 28-knot winds is kind of interesting - where's that 407? - ask cap for the details, I'll only make him jealous again :). We may get him over here to teach us some longlining!

Phil

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Albert Ross ------you better grab someone current with a long line. Don't know if I could work a short line either. I'll come over and carry your flight bag though:lol: and visit a whole pack of relatives, Where you working....Inverness, Sutherland or Nairn country?

We normally cover the South, but they had 100 mph gusts which blew a lot of lines down, so we went up to Inverness for the weekend. The scotch still tastes as nice. It reminded me that, although many people don't regard the highlands as mountains, they will still bite, and anything less than a 407/as350/355 won't cut it when the mean wind speed is around 30 kts and you're trying to keep close to the lines up hill and down dale. Loch Ness just funnels the wind into a howling gale.

You're welcome to come over, though cap, anytime!!

Phil

Under the conditions you mention and with that machine, I'll pass....been there and done that and it's "pas gateaux" (no gift) as the Frenchmen say. Did that for a number of years in a place called Pine Pass, just south of the W.A.C. Bennett Dam in northern BC....and you're right......you're under-powered. I've been in that part of my ancient homeland and you are correct......it's rugged territory. There ain't much land between the end of Loch Ness and the sea anyway......no wonder. They told me when I was there that they figure that Loch Ness was part of the open ocean at one time eons ago.

My "bloods", by the way, are all around Nairn and way down south in Ayrshire. Have a Single Malt shot for me.....two fingers...vertical.....and ice ONLY. :wacko:

Don't worry cap, I won't even use the ice. One job I did at the beginning of this year was for the highland park distillery, and I got a free bottle! Your part of it tasted real good :P

Luckily I spent four years flying between Glasgow and Fort William and know all the smooth bits, so I felt honour bound to take the 206.

Nairn was still there last week, just up the road from Inverness. Did you know there is a restaurant there called the Ness cafe? :)

Phil

Blackmac -------you're real close on the similiarity, but you'd be more accurate to think "Pasedena country".

Albert -----ya , I thought you'd drink MY half FIRST ( you did give me half, didn't you?)...that figures.....and with NO ice either.....no ice proves you are defintely a man of class. I didn't get out to do much "socializing" in Nairn, so I don't remember that restaurant name....but it was a long time ago now. I do know though, that a lot of alcohol collects in knees because for my whole time there my legs didn't work properly because of "rubber knees". 'Bout how big is Nairn these days? It was a far cry from a large city when I was there. Nairn holds a special place in the history of Manitoba also because that is the place that the majority of the original "Selkirk Settlers" came from, who were the first "whites' to populate the hamlet of Winnipeg.

....and speak no more to me about FREE bottles of Single malt Scotch....have pity. :shock: