Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Work Permit Changes

Cap,

Regarding your last post on the "Scotland" inserted topic,

Just climbed BEN NEVIS in May and as I recall it was only 4500 or so. Either I'm wrong (known to happen, just ask the Lady!) or I got lost on an inside conversation.

Regards

ZAZU,

PS

Being a born and bred BC boy in the Rockies never was I more thrilled than to climb the tallest mountain in a country in 2 hours through the alpine just off the road. In BC you have to hike 12 hours just to hit the alpine as you probably know.

The best thing though was that it was not only cobblestoned!!! but at the end of the day the pub was only 500 m or so from our parking spot!

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zazu - at the bottom of the Ben is Fort William, and we used to run a scheduled 206 service from there to Glasgow with three other stops twice a day. The Chief Pilot at the time taught me more about mountain flying in my first line training trip than the army ever did!

Phil

zazu-------my figure was my estimate of the population of Nairn....not the height of the hills....no comparison. :lol: If you farted in Nairn, probably half the town would hear it and the other half would smell it. :lol::lol: Your right too....you don't have to wear-out a pair of shoes finding a drinking spot in a Scottish town. Of course, "some people" get their bottles for FREE and don't have to go to the pub. :lol:

Downwash -------I 'new dat......but hit the wrong key......"merde". :lol: You leave Val out of it. She won't wear 6"spiked heels, net hose and short leather skirts anymore, so I told her to put away the g.d whip. :lol::lol::lol:

Albert ...."scheduled trips to Glasgow?"....What's this now? Just where in the **** do you come up with these jobs. You must think that you are entering the Jurassic Period when you come over here to fly. Some guys got all the luck.....leave some for us why don't ya? :lol:

We had a list of exemptions as long as your arm - instrument ratings, shoulder harnesses, the whole lot! At the time only 10 other major airlines had the same class of AOC, and all we had was 2 206s! It was a good time, and I learnt a lot.

The fart smell would now be mixed with the smell of curry wafting down the street.......

Phil

Albert----well to be honest, I'm not that surprised about the curry smell. Some of the history of a local place called Havelock House (or something like that) was explained to me while I was there. It was built in the 1850's some time and belonged to someone from the "land of the curry smell".

I wish I could have "learned" under conditions like that. :P

"All hail jolly 'ol". I got a trip lined-up for there sometime in the not-too-distant future to meet up with a distant cousin. He's doing some local genealogy for me on the "clan".....a hobby of mine. Other than what I stated already re: curry shops......I won't go any farther on that subject.....kapiche? :)B)

Strange coincidence......

I used to work as a waiter in Nairn 25 years ago.

One day a helicopter landed on the front lawn of the hotel I worked at. I thought that it must be interesting to fly one of those for a job.....a year later I was back in Canada and by then I'd had alot more encounters with helicopters and decided to try driving them for a career. I've never regretted it.

Back to the topic......I was working as a waiter in Scotland on a permit.

It happens all over the world. It's nothing new.

It's going to happen more in the future, not less.

Canadian helicopter pilots are respected all over the world (except for one of us).

Experienced Canadian pilots will always be able to find work at home, or abroad on another country's permit.

Whether that pilot keeps that job and gets re-hired should be up to the individual pilot......not the HRDC, or some other country's government labour department that knows little about aviation safety and our industry.

Passengers in Canadian aircraft deserve the best pilots available.

If the available Canadian pilots aren't good enough, the solution lies with the MoT.

If enough good Canadian pilots aren't available, the solution lies with the HRDC.

If the pilot is a loser, the solution lies with the pilot, not the MoT or HRDC !!