Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Work Permit Changes

Stop getting me choked up, Cap. :( Thankfully, we did have some really good laughs together. Good, good memories. I'm more of an extrovert (who me? :shock: ) than Roy was though. Today, he'd probably think I was just plain nuts. But that would've been okay, too; we still would've laughed our arses off. Hmmm...

Skidz, I was just funnin' ya about the rabies thing. Who loves ya, baby? :D

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Well to bring this one alive again...

HRDC is making it LOTS harder to get a work permit now, so all of you with foreign workers nearby, perhaps you should give them a heads up?

It may take up to 8 WEEKS to get a reply now, and in that time your visa may run out!! :(

I just got mine fixed the other day, and it was not easy!

Yep!

Quite busy, for being alone right now!

Just waiting for immigration to finish off the paperwork, so I can start the next step in becoming a Canadian...

Looooong way tho. How was norway? Not too bad on the pocketbook or head i hope?

Cheers! :up:

Interesting. Read it start to finish.

Right now I have 2 foreign work permits in my passport.

I still pay a limited amount of income tax in Canada (I get the OETC), and I pay GST/HST whenever I buy anything. But that's not relevant , really. The benefit to the economy is the foreign exchange that I bring into Canada (to spend) each month. Without a tax break, the pain in the *** wouldn't even come close to being worth it.

We have similar misguided zealots in the places where I'm working. Hire locals no matter what. In the end (read eventually) that will happen and my work permit will not be renewed and I'll move on. Until then, the local labour pool can't cope with the skills needed and here we are. I believe the last count was 13 nationalities in the hangar, at the moment the count was done. One of the best bunch of guys I have ever worked with.

With reference to Canada. If any of the 9 resumes that Peeshooter has belong to some of the guys I interviewed back when I worked in Canada and refused a job(or to the guys that I suggested to the boss that we let go) then I have to say....no sympathy here.

A logbook full of hours doesn't impart the ability to deal with people. This business is a customer service business. Too many guys DON'T get that. Others have survived for reasons that I couldn't determine because they were ****-bent on killing us both when I was flying with them. Still others had alienated so many current employees of the company after only an hour in the office that it would have been commercial suicide to hire them (everybody else would quit).

So, does HRDC have the right to force any company to hire these guys? I hope not. If so, what's the point of an interview? CRM training? any kind of work ethic?

None. You gotta hire the dipstick whether you want to or not.

When this crap comes to pass then maybe I'll have to find another country to put a seal on the cover of my passport, one that truly represents equal opportunity for equal ... what's the word I'm looking for ... equal ?drive/effort/guts? I know, I'll use Peeshooter's word: equal opportunity for equal personality!

<<edited for spelling>>

As they say in the radio business....long time listener..first time caller!

On behalf of myself and many others, Thanks Peeshooter for taking this to HDRC.

It's about bloody time. Logical extensions of arguements against a 'Canadian First' policy would have us fling the doors open to anyone and you where that will spiral ends....we'll all make $5.00/hr, no benefits. Just show up with your logbook and a smile :down: .

It is imperative there be some benefits of Citizenship or it risks being devalued completely.

The arguement that companies must be free to hire the very best is unworkable at best and silly at the very least. There will always be someone better, cheaper with more hours than you. Maybe a revolving door at the CP's office would be appropriate?

Rather than continually poaching other country's talent why don't we spend a little time developing the talent we have right here? Our industry is notorious for it's lack of honesty and integrity in dealing with employees. Easier to save face and fire the a**hole without an explaination then hire a new one . Repeat as necessary.

As they say in the radio business....long time listener..first time caller!

Our industry is notorious for it's lack of honesty and integrity in dealing with employees. Easier to save face and fire the a**hole without an explaination then hire a new one . Repeat as necessary.

<_< So, 2open100%......I think after reading your post, the radio business would be a better place for you. Come to think of it....a good friend of mine was a radio announcer for years, the political back stabbing and slander thrown there makes our industry look like a kindergarten playground!

This sounds like more sour grapes and someone slamming the industry as a whole based on what ? Your own personel experiences? Do you have years of experience going across Canada or North America dealing with that many operators to base your statement with facts?

Listen my friend.....the few expats from other countries that filter into Canada, and manage to obtain work into our industry, to me, are more than welcome. What about the dozens of Canadian flight crews that fly outside of our borders elsewhere in the world? Should they have that priveledge taken away?

I again sick and tired of the moaning and whining from a select disgruntled few that seem to think their un-employability is caused by a miniscule amount of foreign flight crews that manage to make it here.

This industry as I have said before is far from perfect. It is still going through growing pains. Yes there are a few bad apples out there, I agree that not all within the industry have played fair....but that has been a two way street. In my 29 years I have worked for some "GREAT" people, and for the ones that were not so great....I learned from the experience and moved on with some dignety.

Believe what you want, you have that right, but I can assure you that firing someone is usually a last resort....the costs of crew turnover are high. No one wins when it comes down to that. As for hiring practices, for the people we intereview, everyone, and I mean everyone, no matter what race, colour, religion, age and or experience, are treated as respected individuals. Personality, character, common sense and senserity mean more than you can ever imagine.....and that seems to be in short order these days.... ;)

How typical. Attack the poster and ignore the ideas. Welcome whom ever you like. Thats your perogative. However, you don't need to question my background, employment or experience. They are rather irrelavent to the discussion.

Canadian crews operate overseas simply because we bring a level of expertise demanded by the client or host country. We then spend heaps of $$ training nationals and ourselves out of a job. Were the level of expertise in those counties be present, dry leases would be the order of the day.

QUOTE: As for hiring practices, for the people we intereview, everyone, and I mean everyone, no matter what race, colour, religion, age and or experience, are treated as respected individuals.

I'm glad to hear this is part of your hiring ethos, but maybe you misunderstood my comments. I said nothing regarding the above qualities but was referring to citizenship....last I heard, race, religion, age, colour had no conection to this.

2open100% So it is alright for Canadians to go to other countries. but not the other way around? You dont think that the individuals hired in Canada from other countries have anything to offer to us here? Do you have any idea how many Canadians work over seas out of there own Country. It leaves a void in Canada for postions and sometimes those are filled with individuals from other Countries.

I welcome them here as I hope I'm welcome in another country.

I find it Hipicritical of you thinking the way you do, HERE ARE YOUR QUOTES.

I guess the door only swings one way for you. :wacko:

QUOTE-1

"Rather than continually poaching other country's talent why don't we spend a little time developing the talent we have right here?"

QUOTE- 2

Canadian crews operate overseas simply because we bring a level of expertise demanded by the client or host country.