Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Cleaning Vs Maintenance......

Cambox

So all you guys that work for high class outfits, how much time do you figure you spend cleaning and wiping as opposed to hands on maintenance of a helicopter? I understand that wiping/cleaning can be construed as maintenance, as one of the reasons we do it is to look at our aircraft as well as the pride of ownership issue.... I'm sure my time is probably spent at least 50-50.

R...

Thats a hard question to answer. I have found many a chaffed line, small crack(s), weeping seal,etc by cleaning or wiping down the aircraft as I do my DI or inspection. So I prefer to call this maintenance.

External cleaning; While I prefer to have a nice clean ship. I have let that slide for a bit to get some maintenance done. There are other factors I consider before I wash the ship such Water availability so I can get a proper rinse to make sure all the soap is gone. Is there a day in near future where I can wash it.

Is there a crew change coming up???? ( Just Kidding) Although I swear that has happened to me before. LOL

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

You would have to be exceptionally bad at paperwork to spend 60% of your time pushing a pen in my opinion.

I would say between wiping grease and oil and washing the boom, decks and **** hole I spend about 30% of my time cleaning. I think my ship stays pretty clean too.

At some companies, there isn't support staff to do all the monkey's paperwork for them. Too many errors.....In my personal experience with (for example) changing a head on a Jetbox. Take sme about 5 hrs to install, string and static balance the blades. Install on machine. Well, to the informed person who actually fills out the individual cards with CORRECT information and the assy. card plus logbook (once again ACCURATELY and CORRECTLY) it takes me about 5 hrs, with a couple unavoidable interruptions; maybe longer.

I know lots of guys that are rocket fast at paperwork. Making the QA guys earn their wages and easy targets for transport audits. I would spend almost as long in fixing fast paperwork as the guy did doing it.

My opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

At some companies, there isn't support staff to do all the monkey's paperwork for them. Too many errors.....In my personal experience with (for example) changing a head on a Jetbox. Take sme about 5 hrs to install, string and static balance the blades. Install on machine. Well, to the informed person who actually fills out the individual cards with CORRECT information and the assy. card plus logbook (once again ACCURATELY and CORRECTLY) it takes me about 5 hrs, with a couple unavoidable interruptions; maybe longer.

I know lots of guys that are rocket fast at paperwork. Making the QA guys earn their wages and easy targets for transport audits. I would spend almost as long in fixing fast paperwork as the guy did doing it.

My opinion.

Well said. cleaning is definitely Inspecting or should be. And the paperwork at some companies is more time consuming than others but to be accurate it can certainly take a while.