Satellite Tracking

The current units available only update every 15 minutes, with the new one though you will be able to select the update time down to about every 2 minutes. as for the size it is about the same size as a portable GPS. And yes Ontario does have the Outerlink system installed on all contract machines. As for the costs to track it runs about 2 bucks an hour on the net.

DTII

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CHEVY II

Thanks, allready have a couple! :) An excellent system!

It could use cellular but satellite was the choice for obvious reasons.

It's data refresh rate is selectable and provides the info RDM had previously mentioned.

It can be observed by anyone with an internet connection and the pertinent details to log in. In our neck of the woods (which is the only area it's being used) the obeserver has two choices of maps to choose from...Topo's and a more general abbreviated map form.

We have gone one step further and incorporated a Tablet PC and an additional GPS receiver in the A/C, mounted in plain view of the pilot. It has full color moving map using digitized topographical maps( can't seem to find digitized VNC's yet) and records your flight path if you choose.

Hooked up a cheap webcam for laffs and the results weren't half bad. Just waiting for the wireless card and I'll be online anywhere there's cell coverage (cheaper than Sat. I'll be able to send pics from cam maybe streaming video, definitely check email, update pax manifests, flight following, even chase around that other A/C that's using the sattelite tracking system that I'm watching move on my onboard computer...customers love it and want to upload their software for various missions. Oh the possibilities are endless. :shock:

Pretty cool huh? :up:

hey Chevy - can you PM the details? If you remember I was looking at that sort of stuff for you some time ago! I can highly recommend the Cellset so you can actually use the phone in flight (www.cellset.com) - we've got four of them working just fine. if we could put our powerline info in those tablets as an overlay, that would be mighty interesting.......

Phil

Universal Helicopters in Goose Bay, Lab. have been using satelite tracking for the last three years or more, high artic and southern latitudes, they also have / had palm pilots in the aircraft for sending messages back to the pilot. Very useful when noboby is in HF range.

• 2 months later...
Guest CHEVY II
We have gone one step further and incorporated a Tablet PC and an additional GPS receiver in the A/C, mounted in plain view of the pilot. It has full color moving map using digitized topographical maps.

Here's a pic of the tablet PC...