Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Satellite Tracking

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

VERY cool! :up:

Thanks Chevy II - how is sunlight readability and vision obstruction??

I have been looking at EFB (Electronic Flight Bag) solutions for approach & other charts, GPS moving map display, in-flight weather, and flight planning. The Motion Computing M1400VA Tablet PC that is being used by many has a "View Anywhere" screen that is supposed to be better in sunlight, but is slightly bigger than your HP. I have been dubious as to whether either solution would work in a helicopter? :huh:

Guest CHEVY II
VERY cool! :up:

Thanks Chevy II - how is sunlight readability and vision obstruction??

When I snapped this pic the sun was shining on the tablet as you can see. You be the judge. As I sit fairly high in the cockpit there is somewhat of a readability issue with myself. I should've been available during that phase of the mod for adjustments. Not a huge deal though, as there is a zoom function incorporated into the program but, because of the scale of the topo's as you zoom in to read print you quickly lose your immediate surroundings or stated otherwise you need to be approx. within 1/4-1/2 mile to zoom in to really read a congested portion of the map...once again, not a huge deal. Depends where you are and what your doing. For most cases once VNC's are digitally available and loaded into the program I would think they would be sufficient or, one could always use the map :blink:

It has proven very useful when workload is high ie:powerline patrols. When a Line problem has been found your ability to relay your whereabouts and the details of the closest access for crews to service the problem is enhanced greatly.

As far as vision obstruction goes...the placement has partially inhibited my vision through the chin bubble only. Once again because I sit higher, my line of site too the mirror on the 206 has been slightly inhibited. It was a matter of adjusting my references. I used this tablet version/mod spraying last summer while making multiple landings on top of a truck with no problems. Having said this, it would be nice to make this mod adjustable to tilt or even swing back towards the panel out of the way when not needed.

The only downside I've found with this setup so far is the inherent problems that goes along with all portable computers. Just one more duty you have to add to your daily flying routine. I would be somewhat reluctant to place this item in the hands of a computer illiterate type person and expect them to perform with it. ;)

Guest CHEVY II
Chevy II ----- are the maps detailed enough to pick-up towers, transmission lines, etc. in your general area or path? Just wondered because some moving maps can do that.

Cap, the maps are Topographical (1:50 000). They are the exact maps that you would purchase only these have been scanned and digitally reproduced then "stiched" together to flow as a moving map. So, yes they have every much the detail that your speaking of. We have only the maps of NS and NB installed, which is quite a large file (5-6 Gigs.). This is why we needed a tablet computer to handle that amount of storage capacity.

Oh we still fly around in fog and beat on seals but now we can message back to base via palm pilot and tell them where to pick up all the pelts and blubber!! Unless they look us up on the computer. nice to know they can find you on the map if anything happnes to go for a sh#$ in the middle god knows where.

Chevy II ------ thanks for the info bud. Now if I can just figure out a way to get Water Surveys of Canada to to have ALL their river crossing wires and cables to show up on those maps, then we got'er "made". :shock:

Guest CHEVY II
Chevy II ------ thanks for the info bud. Now if I can just figure out a way to get Water Surveys of Canada to to have ALL their river crossing wires and cables to show up on those maps, then we got'er "made". :shock:

Cap, outside of manipulating the images in the software with some kind of your own highlight mark where known obstacles are, I don't know what to tell ya! :glare: