Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Cormorants

I saw it on 1830 Global National News @ about 1845 yesterday.

Check their website, betcha they talk about there. I was quite surprised with the report. They even interviewed an officer from CFB Greenwood.

The Gov''t should maybe invest in some logistics guys!!!!!

Let me what you find and think.

Cheers

R

Any of you guys catch the spot on last nites news regarding a supposed shortage of parts for these new machines.

Is this the usual media frenzie of blowing things out of proportion or is it really an issue?

Cheers

R

Hmmmm. Let''s look at the logic train here:

- Crétien doesn''t want the Cormorant as the new shipborne helicopter

- New shipborne helicopter deal includes maintenance 

- SAR Cormorants costing over double to maintian than anyone ever dreamed

- Gee, we can''t buy them for the NSH, they''re too expensive to operate....

Looks like a blatant smoke-and-mirrors ploy to take the political heat off them when they buy something else. Funny they aren''t bothered by the DOCs of those BO105s and Sea Kings? Politicians make me want to pukeface.gif

CBC Radio had a different take on the subject last night. I could not for the life of me find anything online today though. I believe it went like this...

IMP, the contractor for the Cormorants has found that the new aircraft require about double the service time as initially spoke of by the manufacturer/government and has had to hire an additional 40(?) people or so at a cost of $32 million. Since it is a closed contract, they have to cover the bill I guess. Sir McCallum said he has yet to decide if they will do the same sort of outsourcing for the Sea King replacements.

in a local rag they quoted a source saying the cormorants require 17 rs maintenance for every flight hr. also said on a post flight bolts from the t/r were found loose - fallen off. they determined the ame didn''t have the right torque wrench - blamed it on eh industries for not being able to supply it. that sounds a bit feeble

Kyle,

That was also a big part of it along with the availability of parts which they stated was a serious problem.  The officer they interviewed said it could be till mid June by the time they get caught up.

The end of the news bit showed McCallum getting off one the bird and he was asked how the ride went, his reply was "satisfactory".

Go figure.

In what I do, I spec out the equipment needed for our purposes, put a cost comparison together and head office signs the check.  I know what I need to get the job done safely and efficiently because I''ve been there and done that.  Why cant the gov''t do the same.  It''s a very simple principle.

I guess everyone wants to be the hero.

Cheers

R

• 2 weeks later...

I live in the Annapolis Valley and watched a Cormorant, or as the boys refer to them as, a Shag, fly over the last couple of days. It does look very impressive and beautiful.

Whatever troubles they may have it will work itself out, always the same with new kit, especially such high tech stuff. They went from a 1964 Boeing Vertol to pretty fancy new stuff, it will take time.

As for the contract with civilian AMEs doing the maintenance we hope to see it work well. Right now there is very serious talk of VFR lifter machines being leased to take the strain off the Sea King for utility work. (They were looking at something along the lines of the Westland Lynx for comparisson)

Looks like they want these beasts in Shearwater within a year with pilot conversion and trained techs soon. They will have to start with AMEs and slowly train our techs to take them to sea. You heard right, I don''t know how the project has gotten because I am away from the office for a while but it was a very serious thing.

Anyone else heard anything out there? Does this thing have legs or is it dying?

From a driver''s perspective, we think yabadabadoo. I would love to take a B407 or AStar B3 or Twinstar or similar to sea and do utility stuff single pilot, yeah baby.