Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

407 Power Plus Stc....What Is It?

Just looking at the flight manual sup for the 407 power plus STC that increase both internal and external payload by up to 400 lbs as it claims. I did the reading and really.. their are no changes for the limitiations (section 1) of the flight manual suppliment except a decrease in generator load when recognizing the performance of the charts.

These "perfomance gains" are only in section 4, performance secion of the POH. Aren't you still basically limited by the Torque and MGT from section 1? How does this new STC help out an operator or is it just fancy paperwork showing you what you can do?

If anyone can explain it better and how it would benefit me please let me know. I am all ears.

"Bell Helicopter Textron won approval for a 407 Plus Power Program STC in February 2010 that adds high-and-hot performance capabilities to the 407 with no additional operational cost. The STC authorizes using the Model 250-C47B’s available excess power to increase the 407's useful load by more than 400 pounds or hover in ground effect (HIGE) by about 3,000 feet with no reduction in operational safety margin. The improvement involves no additional warranty costs, hardware or software changes to rotorcraft or engine and no changes in engine time between overhaul. Operators use 407 performance charts in the STC for both HIGE and hover out of ground effect (HOGE), adding up to 10 percent above minimum specifications for outside air temperatures up to 51.7 degrees C (125 degrees F)."

does it sound like it simply improves HIGE by 3000'?

Another issue here...since when does Bell care about the engine in the machine...when I was at Bell in Texas on course when we got to the part on the engine the instructor said this is the area were you will find the engine and who supplies it was no concern of theirs and that was that...continuing on....so when it is time to sent your engine for o/h with the computer you better be able to show HOW you did not exceed any of rollsroyces limits :lol:

• 3 years later...