Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Your Career As A Helicopter Pilot

Super D

The Helicopter Pilot Career  

106 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Fellow pilots; whether you've been in it six months or 40 years, let's gather a few simple, honest answers to a few simple, honest questions to put your career as a helicopter pilot into perspective...

1. What is the best part of your job?

2. What is the worst part of your job?

3. Any regrets in choosing your career?

4. If someone you knew was considering getting their commercial license, would you recommend it to them?

5. What advice would you give to a multi-talented, low-time pilot with a couple hundred hours under his/her belt and few years' experience in the industry, potential for a family, and considering pursuing some other career instead of the glorified chopper pilot?

6. Do you consider yourself successful? Why or why not?

Fly safe. Cheers.

Simple answers to your simple questions.

1.The Flying

2.Being away from home for 3/4 of my life

3.No regrets

4.I wouldnt recommend it but if they really want to then nothings gonna stop them . All the negative feedback and horror stories didnt stop me

5.Try and get on with a company that has bases in s#!thole places and move to one of those places and be a base pilot. Pool pilots and families dont mix well.

6.Yes, because my goal was to make a career out of flying and I have succeeded so far.

Simple answers to your simple questions.

1. What is the best part of your job? The flying seeing the world!

2. What is the worst part of your job? Dealing with management that has no formal management training that then leads to dishonesty or wilful blindness

3. Any regrets in choosing your career? No! but wish had done IFR earlier than later.

4. If someone you knew was considering getting their commercial license, would you recommend it to them? Not at the moment but with reforms to the industry yes.

5. What advice would you give to a multi-talented, low-time pilot with a couple hundred hours under his/her belt and few years' experience in the industry, potential for a family, and considering pursuing some other career instead of the glorified chopper pilot? Get an IFR and some twin time and get the **** out of the VFR market as fast as you can.

6. Do you consider yourself successful? Why or why not? So far so good.

p5

All the different types of work you get to be involved in - variety

Not very conducive for family life

NONE

4. If someone you knew was considering getting their commercial license, would you recommend it to them?

Absolutely - if they are of the right personality type.

5. What advice would you give to a multi-talented, low-time pilot with a couple hundred hours under his/her belt and few years' experience in the industry, potential for a family, and considering pursuing some other career instead of the glorified chopper pilot?

Consentrate on getting on with a larger organization that has varied types of work and helicopter types to build your experience and talent - then settle down

I haven't killed my self yet - so yes, successful so far

• Like 1

Flying, and the lifelong friends I have made in this crazy business

Time away from home and family. Saying final good byes to crew that left this earth way too soon.

Dont ever regret anything, Use everything you do and learn from it.

Yes, after they have a trade or an established job doing something else. That way you can afford to live while you try to make the transition into a life of flying.

If your bound and determined, go for it! If you have a family, its tough! Money is poor, your job might take you to less than desirable locations. Words to live by.....Put your family first!!

• Like 1

Operating a helicopter, i.e. trying to get it to twist, turn and lift or land just the way that is needed, (hopefully).

The risk. I have lost too many buddies that were **** good pilots.

With hindsight, maybe, but in actual reality, none. Because looking back at what I knew when I started, and what I've done since then, it was the right choice for who I am.

I'd give the same advice I got 30 years ago. Don't be stupid!! If they are stupid or keen enough, they will do it anyway. I considered that advice and rejected it because I was keen enough. Not surveying and planning for this career is what I call 'stupid' and will result in misery, poverty and/or people getting hurt.

If you have another career in mind, you'd better chase it. This helicopter gig requires a lot of love for flying, and full dedication to be happy. Young families can make it really tough.

Yes. I enjoy my work, make reasonable money, get good time-off, and the customers seem to like my efforts. Plus, I'm still alive and haven't hurt anyone. Sorry to sound so graphic, but that is the bottom line at the end of each flight, each day, and each year. This doesn't mean the friends I lost in this business weren't successful, it's just that our success can be brought to a tragic end with just a little bad luck at a bad moment.

It's a great career, but choose carefully.

• Like 1