Very Poor Viz

CARs 602.115 "d) where the aircraft is a helicopter and is operated at less than 1,000 feet AGL

(i) during the day, flight visibility is not less than one mile, except if otherwise authorized in an air operator certificate ... helicopter,

CARS 703.28 and Standard 723.28 authorizes operations in reduced visibility to 1/2 mile.

Oops, guess I should have finished reading the whole thread.

We've been counting and almost a solid 50% of our heli-ski clients have some form of video recording equipment on the head or chest. The ability to very easily upload this footage to youtube is pretty amazing...I've seen myself and my day flying on youtube the very next day...Just remember to obey as many rules as you can reasonably obey and don't do anything stupid, it's probably being filmed!

Hasn't changed the way I fly, just made me more aware of how I am flying.

• Like 1

We've been counting and almost a solid 50% of our heli-ski clients have some form of video recording equipment on the head or chest. The ability to very easily upload this footage to youtube is pretty amazing...I've seen myself and my day flying on youtube the very next day...Just remember to obey as many rules as you can reasonably obey and don't do anything stupid, it's probably being filmed!

Hasn't changed the way I fly, just made me more aware of how I am flying.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/go-pro-gopro-hd-hero2-outdoor-helmet-camcorder-hd-hero2-outdoor/10183302.aspx?path=24f23543940fc62a7ea866db0bad900den02

I'm surprised it's only 50%......when I ride (bikes) at whistler, I'd say it's closer to 75%......they rent Go-pro's......

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/go-pro-gopro-hd-hero2-outdoor-helmet-camcorder-hd-hero2-outdoor/10183302.aspx?path=24f23543940fc62a7ea866db0bad900den02

I'm surprised it's only 50%......when I ride (bikes) at whistler, I'd say it's closer to 75%......they rent Go-pro's......

Depending on the groups you're probably right...And Go-pro's are the weapon of choice for sure...I almost want one now myself....Bucketing movies=Riveting!

Ditto. I have a Contour GPS.

Mounts perfectly on the visor knob of my Gallet.

Added bonus of GPS tracking gives you a really cool mini-map and altitude/speed vs time graph that plays along side the movie.

It's great when you're trying to show people what you do and where you do it, but they can't really grasp it.

If you have an Ops Spec,that allows it in your Op Certificate. You can fly in uncontrolled airspace below 1000' with 1/2 mile vis. If the pilot has 500hrs Pic, and has had low vis training, and a PDM course.

I'm pretty sure I have all the requirements listed, if I don't, can someone correct me

49merc

Well technically speaking...there is one more requirement as it is laid out in the CARS...

(B) Airspeed for operation in reduced visibility

(amended 1998/06/01; previous version)

Helicopters shall be operated at a reduced air speed that will provide the pilot-in-command adequate opportunity to see and avoid obstacles;

so when asked on a PPC or PCC.....there are 5 conditions that must be satisfied to operate in reduced vis...

Ops Spec, 500 hrs, Annual low vis training, current PDM and operate at a reduced airspeed...

Class dismissed...