Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Net Repair

Spent a bit of time repairing cargo nets of all sizes and if there is one thing i could say it's you have to have the right repair twine. Best is the same size and strength (maybe obtain it from a net dealer?). I always just copied the knot on the corner of the interlinking squares to close a hole and start and finished off with a double fisherman's knot. Then melted the ends and pressed a scrap piece of aluminum to the hot nylon or what ever it was so that the end could not pull through or fray.

My one pet peeve with regards to nets is crew who use them and don't roll them up or throw them back in with the serviceable ops gear when they need repair. How many times have you grabbed a net and gotten to your work site and discovered that where there should be a bottom to the net there was nothing but a big hole? Probably only once, now you unroll or untangle the net prior to leaving base and have a good look. LOL One more thing, why would anyone buy a net that does not use Crosby hooks? Great, they are cheaper but try to find some keepers for them....

One more thing, why would anyone buy a net that does not use Crosby hooks? Great, they are cheaper but try to find some keepers for them....

So true. I bought these nets from some supplier in the lower mainland a couple years ago and the the hooks on the corners have these lock releases on the back that instantly cease up the second a grain of sand gets withing 100 meters of each hook. Nothing like staring down 150 ft watching some poor sap try to figures out wtf kind of latch system is this is while you hammer him with downwash and ear destroying sound.

• Like 1

So true. I bought these nets from some supplier in the lower mainland a couple years ago and the the hooks on the corners have these lock releases on the back that instantly cease up the second a grain of sand gets withing 100 meters of each hook. Nothing like staring down 150 ft watching some poor sap try to figures out wtf kind of latch system is this is while you hammer him with downwash and ear destroying sound.

What kind of machine are you flying to be worried about hammering a person with downwash at 150' with ear destroying sound?

the Duke

• Like 1

We use tarred seine twine of equal or slightly smaller diameter than the net twine. We've tried slightly larger diameter twine but found that the knots didn't hold as well. The sheet bend knot tightens and holds very well if done correctly. I use pliers and pull the tag end really tight. Like Whitestone, I also melt the ends. Give Pacific Net and Twine a ring.