Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Meal Per Diems

putz

Also, many organizations, not necessarily in aviation, set their rates based on what the feds set theirs too.

I find that hard to believe as I know of no companies (outside of aviation) that comes close to government rates, and many companies i know screw employees further by abusing what they can when they can.

We scrounge around and try to feed ourselves on 40$ a day.

I travel across Canada and to various other places on a regular basis. I couldn't eat on 40 a day unless it was breakfast at the Dubs, and Mickey's or some other exclusive dining establishment for a fine lunch and dinner.

Unfortunately, that 900 an hour bid doesn't leave much room to pay anyone anything. The more things change, the more things stay the same. I'd phrase it in French, but no one would understand it.

Quit whining about what the government does. Save those cash register receipts from the fast food restaurants in the arctic, or the bush, or wherever it is you end up. You'll collect a lot of them on your mandatory days off, spent in a tent on the side of a pothole where you accumulate and spend all the time off the company generously allows you to accumulate.

Perhaps a sternly worded letter to HAC encouraging it to act on your behalf would force those companies to provide you with 40.50 a day.

Exactly.......... Check what those in the oil field industry and the like are getting for expenses! Perhaps bid rates for contracts have to go up across the board so that some aviation companies can provide reasonable compensation to their employees.

Just because some enities have poor pay, vacation or per diem payments etc. doesn't mean the rest of the world should follow their example! Once again, perhaps our indusrty has to change to follow the example of other industries??

R...

The federal government per diems are for all federal employees, not just unionized ones. Also, many organizations, not necessarily in aviation, set their rates based on what the feds set theirs too.

The federal government per diems are for all federal employees, not just unionized ones. Also, many organizations, not necessarily in aviation, set their rates based on what the feds set theirs too.

I have lots of friends, and relatives working in the oil, and gas industry. They get 140$ a day to cover hotels and meals. Most guys double up in rooms, because the average hotel in the western provinces is 130-140 a night. If their companies pick up the rooms, they get 50$.( according to the people I know)

Now I can't speak for every industry, but in my opinion, there aren't many that can keep up with the wages, and benefits of the Oil, and Gas industry. So, not even close to what our Federal public servant is making for per diems.

And I'm not whining, if it was a 5-10% difference in per diems, you could say I'm whining. but when it's 220% of what we get, thats a little ridiculous.

49merc

Now I can't speak for every industry, but in my opinion, there aren't many that can keep up with the wages, and benefits of the Oil, and Gas industry.

To that I'd say you need to broaden your horizons because there are a LOT of industries that do better than O&G and (obviously) aviation. In fact, you can find better within those industries if you look up a bit. You think that Enbridge's lawyers for Northern Gateway, travelling across BC and Alberta for the JRP hearings are getting anything less than what the feds get?

Even as a co-op student working for Suncor, I got a better per diem than what you guys are getting - and that was almost 10 years ago!

Exactly.......... Check what those in the oil field industry and the like are getting for expenses! Perhaps bid rates for contracts have to go up across the board so that some aviation companies can provide reasonable compensation to their employees.

Just because some enities have poor pay, vacation or per diem payments etc. doesn't mean the rest of the world should follow their example! Once again, perhaps our indusrty has to change to follow the example of other industries??

R...

It sounds so simple, we should all call our respective owners today and tell them the solution to all the helicopter industries problems. They can just raise the rates and make more profit, we can get a pension plan, better benefits and higher per diems.

We can all get back tomorrow and let each other know how it went...........

• Like 4

To that I'd say you need to broaden your horizons because there are a LOT of industries that do better than O&G and (obviously) aviation. In fact, you can find better within those industries if you look up a bit. You think that Enbridge's lawyers for Northern Gateway, travelling across BC and Alberta for the JRP hearings are getting anything less than what the feds get?

Even as a co-op student working for Suncor, I got a better per diem than what you guys are getting - and that was almost 10 years ago!

True, I do need to get out more. LOL, and yes, if you look "up" you will always find better. Management always takes better care of themselves than there employee's.