Forum Code Of Conduct

Guest Jeremy Law

Guest Jeremy Law

To all forum members.

In the past week, we have received three separate requests from company lawyers to provide the identity of certain members due to comments that break our rules of conduct.

I would like to remind everyone about our forum rules, which I have posted below. I strongly encourage ALL members to review the forum rules. Posting misleading, threatening or slanderous comments cannot be tolerated.

Vertical is obligated by our rules to provide the identities of any individual(s) that breaks our rules. There are no exceptions. We will provide the identities when requested by legal representation. If you have something negative to say about a company or individual, but are not willing to sign your real name to, DO NOT post. Regardless if you use a pseudonym or not, we will obtain your identity and provide it upon request.

The Vertical Team

-----------------------------

Considering the real-time nature of these forums, it is impossible for us to review messages as they happen or confirm the validity of information posted. Please remember that while we do actively monitor the contents of the forums, we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of the owners of these forums. Before taking action as a result of information posted in the forums, take the time to research and evaluate the accuracy of that information.

Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact a Staff member immediately by e-mail or private message. We have the ability and right to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, so please realize that we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately.

You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold harmless the owners of the Verticalmag.com and their agents with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s).

The owners of the Verticalmag.com also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or whatever information we know about you) in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any message posted by you.

We do not allow registrations from anyone under the age of 13. If you are under 13 years old you are invited to read these forums as much as you want, however we are not able to offer you the right to post in the forums as that would involve asking you for information that violates the law.

By registering and making posts to the Verticalmag.com Forums you agree to abide by the Forum rules, both stated and unstated. Further you agree that any messages and their complete contents, become the sole and exclusive property of the operators of the Verticalmag.com Forums. We have the sole and exclusive rights to modify, delete, or make any use whatsoever both in the Forums and in any other location and medium, of all content posted to these Forums.

----------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------

Code Of Conduct

In the interest of creating a discussion forum environment that encourages active posting by both new and long-term members, Verticalmag.com has created a "Code of Conduct" that all posters in the following forums must adhere to.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use the Verticalmag.com Forums to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, rude, disrespectful, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by the owners of the Verticalmag.com Forums.

Advertisements of any type, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are not permitted

Absolutely NO flaming. Posts containing hostile language or rudeness directed at staff or other members will not be tolerated. All flames will be immediately deleted and posters who engage in flaming will be issued an official warning from staff.

Adult content is prohibited. All links to adult content, within forum posts will be immediately deleted and the posters will be issued an official warning from staff. Adult links located within your user profile will be deleted by the administrator.

Self promotion is prohibited. The Verticalmag.com Forums are designed to be an educational and community environment. Posters who solicit work within threads, or who make posts for the sole purpose of linking to their own content will be issued an official warning from staff.

Dishonesty is prohibited, full disclosure required. If you wish feedback on a product or service that you offer, please disclose, in full, your affiliation with the company/product/service that you are posting about, as well as a detailed explanation of what type of feedback you would like from our membership. Posts along the lines of "I found this great website ... what do you think of it?" or "Has anyone used 'xyz.com', I hear it's great!", when in fact you are the owner of the named company is in direct violation of our code of conduct and is grounds for administrative review of your membership status.

Company/Corporate Participation is encouraged. Your activity in discussions related to your product or services are vital both to you and to us. Essentially, it ensures that proper, verifiable information is given to our membership, by an accountable party. Sometimes, in online forums, discussions related to a particular product/service can contain mis-information, heresay, etc. This does a disservice to the company providing that service, and offers nothing of real value to our membership reading that particular discussion. That being said, we do not allow blatant advertising, or sales-pitchy posts by companies, nor do we allow link-dropping, except where absolutely necessary to the content of the post. We also discourage companies from posting negative-isms about their competition. Leave that to the members, and the other company will come in to defend themselves. In discussions related to a product/service, a company representative can help us to get the facts out there, and since the company is generally tightly involved in their own industry, we encourage you to offer more than just the company line, but also to offer your expertise and educate us along the way. We ask that companies use this clause with latitude.

Thread hi-jacking will not be tolerated. All posters must respect the rights of other members to post questions, comments and ideas that do not agree with their own. Please keep your posts "on topic" i.e. relevant to the subject(s) of the thread.

The Verticalmag.com Forums have provided a "Just Conversation" for more casual and social chat. Please keep items of interest to the community that are not related to the forum topics to this area. Any poster who makes posts or comments designed at hi-jacking or derailing any user thread will be issued an official warning from staff.

Do not show disrespect for any Staff or Member.. This includes derogatory, defamatory, or irrelevant personal remarks, threats, or other such public displays of personal rhetoric.

Enforcement

This Code of Conduct enforces both a "three strikes you're out" policy for repeated violation of TOS and an immediate banning policy for extreme infractions. When necessary, posters who have broken forum rules will receive an official warning from staff via the forums' "private message" feature. After two warnings, a third infraction will result in immediate termination of the account without further notice. (It is the responsibility of each forum member to check their PMs on a regular basis.)

Grounds for Immediate Banning from the Forums. The following infractions are grounds for immediate, no-questions-asked banning from the Verticalmag.com Forums.

Drive-by Spamming. Users who register and post for the sole purpose of linking to their own sites will be immediately banned from the forums.

Threatening Posters. Users who make physical threats against staff or members via forum posts, private messages or e-mail will be immediately banned from the forums. Posters who receive such threats should immediately contact a staff member and should save the original copy of the threat.

• Like 4

I love this part of the Code........

Code Of Conduct.......

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use the Verticalmag.com Forums to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, rude, disrespectful, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

Darn, that would wipe-out pretty much all that is said here. He He He !!

P.S. Jeremy, did you remove the posts that were causing the lawyers to get upset?

And/or, did you advise the posters that their material was causing concern ?

Thanks, with my legal team in place I await your reply. He He !!

post-414-0-08034600-1330963555_thumb.jpg

• Like 26

isn't this a forum like most, its made up of peoples opinions? right? whats the difference between spouting off on-line or doing it in person?? Ive sat at a table full of pilots and engineers before and its not like everyone agrees on what each one has to say. Does it make interesting conversation? absolutely! Do you get up from the table and get your "legal team" to come and defend you when somebody says something that offends you? No

If People and or Companies are that worried whats said on here, then there out to lunch. They don't have a clue whats being said about them everywhere else!

Sounds like a great threat though to have the "legal team" inquiring.

Signing off for good!

• Like 1

GOOD! A great company is trying to start an excellent new strategy, involving more money! only so they can make a good crew, only to get ripped apart.

#### lawyers and come on they are not that great of a company. I'll stand by my opinion and no need to get lawyers up front. If required i'll call their management and tell them directly. I'll speak the TRUTH.

• Like 3

The truth is as much as this forum is comprised of our free and open opinions, if someone stated something in writing as FACT that is defamatory towards the company that is not true, that is a perfect case of libel. The same goes for any remarks made towards an individual in print or writing. I'm surprised the moderator made no mention of libel as it is a serious offence that can and will be held up in a court of law.

• Like 1

I guess the hard part would be proving an opinion was fact

unfortunately the average joe would be bankrupt if he was dragged into a legal slagfest

so the company with the deep pockets will win even if they are wrong. Gotta love the legal system eh?

and what does it prove in the end? yep, company "X" sucks because they couldn't mend/fix/rebuttal the bad opinions any other way than heavy handed tactics.

I'm sure a positive spin on what they offer would go alot further than legal action.

And long term, that just hurts them more as the people they took to court and their friends will continue to not want to work for company "X". Even though aviation "professionals" can stab each other in the back 6 days of the week, they all stick together in the end.

#### lawyers and come on they are not that great of a company. I'll stand by my opinion and no need to get lawyers up front. If required i'll call their management and tell them directly. I'll speak the TRUTH.

I don't know if they are a great 'company' from a corporate level or not. This i do know, i worked for them for a little over a year and they were quite excellent to work for. (in my opinion) The chief pilot is very honest and fair and never BS'd me. They paid extremely quick after invoicing and expenses were never an issue and always paid on time. They were always willing to accommodate personal/family matters. Travel was booked with preferred seating for over seas travel. Wages were fair and overall, for a large company, moral was good. I had a better opportunity come up that would allow me to be home more and provide new challenges otherwise i would still be working there. That is the TRUTH too.

That's just my experience as an employee.

Geoff Reed

• Like 5